Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Target SNR Margin

xreyuk
Grafter

High Target SNR Margin

Hi all,

Over the past year I have been running at an abnormally high SNR margin on my downstream FTTC, with a target of 22dBm, and a sync speed of ~41Mbps (even though the line is capable of 54Mbps according to my equipment).

Recently I resynced my router after a 144 days uptime, and it reset at 51Mbps, and the profile updated, and the SNR margin was more sensible around 6dBm.

Over the past 24 hours that has ran completely error free according to my equipment, however tonight the DLM saw it fit to resync my line, and apply the SNR margin at 22dBm again. I didn’t notice any problems with usability and enjoyed my extra speed.

Can anyone, especially from Plusnet, advise if we can get the DLM reset or at least the SNR margin adjusted?

I’m losing out on a lot of speed here.

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: High Target SNR Margin

Hi @xreyuk,

Is this regarding the same account tied to your forum account? As the account seems to show a few drops recently following nearly a 40 day connection and DLM seems to have made adjustments based off of some errors on the line, although the line does still seem to be testing within the estimate range.

Unfortunately with Fibre, DLM/SNR resets aren't as trivial as they are with ADSL and would generally just be to remove banding from the line following a fault being resolved (Should the engineer not remove the banding at the time of resolving the fault) however the connection also does not seem to be banded currently.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
xreyuk
Grafter

Hi Harry, 

Yes, this is the same account tied to my forum account.   

I think I have my have been slightly mistaken, it appears the GUI on my modem has been displaying the wrong numbers in the wrong places. If I telnet to my current equipment, and ask for the line stats I can see I'm connected with an SNR of 8dBm (a little high, but not bad). However I can see I've ran a fair few errors on my line, and I have been having problems with gaming and streaming (dropped packets, pausing, lag etc).

If I do a quiet line test, I can hear buzzing and popping on the line.

I will raise a fault through the ticketing system.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @xreyuk,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue with your services. I've reviewed the fault that has been raised in relation to these issues and I have raised a response to the ticket, which can be viewed here.

Please let us know once you've been able to respond to the ticket so we can pick this back up for further review as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team