cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Speed Broadband checker anomalies anyone?

FIXED
wayyoung
Rising Star

High Speed Broadband checker anomalies anyone?

I've never gotten any better connection speeds than around 15Mb from my 40/2 fibre connection but this estimate appears way off. Anyone else noticing problems/anomalies with this tool?

Telephone number:
01730******
Phone exchange:
MIDHURST
Estimated line speed:
80Mb (This may vary between 75.2Mb and 80Mb) - Checked on 2017-01-10 20:10:09
Current line speed:
15.1 Mb
106 REPLIES 106
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: High Speed Broadband checker anomalies anyone?

Were you originally on ADSL and upgraded to Fibre ?

If so, it sounds like your PlusNet profile ( Current Line Speed ) never updated from the ADSL value. It's quite common and if so it will be limiting your download speed. Ignore the 80Mb estimate , that's the absolute maximum speed your line is capable of and takes no account of the product you're actually on i.e the 40/2.

However with that estimate showing that your line is capable of 80Mb, you should easily be connecting at the maximum 40Mb that your product allows.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Good Afternoon, 

as @MisterW rightfully says, it seems your line profile is still reflecting your older ADSL speeds as your line can hit much higher than the 40Mb you signed up to, I've made a change to your account now which should resolve this, if you could restart your router, the speeds should increase immediately.

Let me know if you have any issues

wayyoung
Rising Star

Thanks for replying.

Yes I was on ADSL before 'upgrading' to FTTC.

I had 35+ days uptime and rebooted on your advice. However I actually lost some speed now 😞

BT Wholesale Speedtest -

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
  12.33 Mbps

0 Mbps 13.82 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 12.33 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 9.67 Mbps-13.82 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 13.82 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
  0.37 Mbps

0 Mbps 2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.37Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2 Mbps

And Plusnet now reads my connection as -

Telephone number:
01730******
Phone exchange:
MIDHURST
Estimated line speed:
80Mb (This may vary between 75.2Mb and 80Mb) - Checked on 2017-01-10 20:10:09
Current line speed:
37 Mb
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@wayyoung so you had 35+ days  at ADSL speeds while paying for Fibre 40/2 ?Huh

Maybe PN may need to  look at this !

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I guess nobody else re-read @wayyoung's older thread:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/Info-for-customers-with-fibre-faults/td-p/1295555

About 15Mb was the best their FTTC can manage.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Nope, missed thatSad

Why is the estimate now 80mb ? With that estimate then the current speed has got to be way less than the minimum guaranteed speed

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

wayyoung
Rising Star

I know I'm not going to get much more than 15Mb as I'v e been stuck on that for over a year now. I appear to have a lot of aluminium between myself and the cabinet. Spent many times griping with PN staff about paying for 40/2 and getting 15/0.5.

But what's going on with the PN estimates? I had a slim hope that BT had done some local work and my line conditions had markedly improved. Alas it was not to be...

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Is the BTWholesale checker showing the same thing, or is it only the Plusnet estimate that is very high?

wayyoung
Rising Star

Just PN.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

thanks for the extra information, I'm sorry the change our side didn't help, I will lower that back down to what you are actually receiving as it can cause packet loss having that set too high.

In regards to your line, the estimates our systems do pull at showing the full 80Mb available, I'll pick this up with BT Wholesale tomorrow as our systems should be pulling from theres, if this is not the case I will get things corrected at our side so things are showing as they actually are.

EDIT: just checked the BT tester and this is showing 80Mb when i run the check, and this is reflected on their other systems too, I can't promise any speed increase but I'll see about getting things updated on their checks if the information they show is incorrect 

wayyoung
Rising Star

Thanks for looking a this 🙂

Either BT have made changes or their checker is inaccurate. My line has always been served by cabinet 3 but now it appears to be served by cabinet 18?

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Telephone Number 01730****** on Exchange MIDHURST is served by Cabinet 18

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 75.2 20 20 -- Available -- -- Yes --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 63 20 17.6 -- Available -- -- Yes --

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2.5 -- 1 to 5 Available -- -- -- Yes
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 2.5 Up to 0.5 1 to 5 Available -- -- -- Yes
ADSL Max Up to 1 -- 1 to 3 Available -- -- -- --
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available -- -- -- Yes
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available -- -- -- --

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- --
ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- --

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello @wayyoung

I'm just testing your broadband,

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 14.3 Mbps
Upstream Speed 0.6 Mbps

It's in sync below the estimates. It seems the profile on our system was set correctly for the current sync rate.

I'd recommend testing your router in the test socket, as explained here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242 if you haven't tried already.

Failing this, best to raise a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net as it'll require an engineer to investigate.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Good Morning, 

I've discussed your issues with @Anoush and some other members of our tech teams as my knowledge is heavily weighted to the provisioning process and we've come to the conclusion that in this case it would be best to raise a broadband fault as indicated by Anoush above, if you let us know once that is done we can pick it up straight away and get this progressed.

It does look like you are still through cab 3 but an engineer can confirm the physical routing as it's not unheard of for lines to be moved, just a rare occurrence.

Thanks

wayyoung
Rising Star

Interesting. This is my second  PN1 Hub. Plugged directly into my second Openreach fitted master socket. No internal wiring. Pre-activation estimate of 21.6Mb speeds, never gone beyond 15.8Mb (and only if resynced on frosty mornings). During summer it can drop to 11Mb sync. Many engineer visits and tests in the Test socket have made no difference.

However the last engineer noticed something that he said was causing the problem but he wasn't allowed to fix it as he was sent to deal with a dead line fault. He advised I ask PN for further help on this as he was confident he could fix it upon his return. PN wasn't having it and effectively said "The line is fixed. You've got a connection."

But there has either been a change or error by Openreach as I seem to have gone from cabinet 3 (very slow estimates and sync) to cabinet 18? (fast estimates).

I will consider raising a further fault but I hold no hope of any improvement unfortunately, although I do appreciate you guys taking time to look at this 🙂