Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High SNR Margin caused by Asus DSL AC68u

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: High SNR Margin caused by Asus DSL AC68u

@Stein  Your line is banded, it will not change quickly without a DLM reset. Trying to change the snrm will not work. DLM could remove the banding but it could take a long time. (Weeks or Months 😫)

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@RealAleMadrid 

I note your insistance that the line is banded but can see no evidence through a GEA test result. The other thing that confuses me is why the speed is not at a band limit,  see. https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM_profiles.htm

The other thing that has occured to me is whether @Stein  has a fixed IP address, have you @Stein? If so then this will be routed through Plusnet's old servers, where they can set their own limit. I could easily believe that this has got changed to 70Mbps. A similar thing once happened on my line. If so it will need one of the more experienced Plusnet staffers to look at this as many first line staff are not aware that this feature exists.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@Baldrick1  I have not seen any GEA test result, have you? The line profile is always 13 days out of date on the test so it is not much use. I stand by my message #10 as a my interpretation of the situation. If the modem syncs at a speed very near a integer Mbps figure and the SNRM is above 6dB that looks like banding to me. As for the speed not being on the profile list that Kitz page is rather old and could be out of date.

I don't understand why a speed of 70Mbps for the Plusnet line speed profile is relevant in any way, it doesn't affect the sync speed. The OP has a 92% of sync IP profile as I mentioned earlier in the thread, that is controlling the throughput speed. I have had trouble with a low Plusnet line speed profile when I had a static IP on a couple of occasions when it hadn't updated to track the BT IP profile, support understood the problem fixed it promptly, that may not be the case now.

Baldrick1

@RealAleMadrid 

I’m not saying that you are wrong, I‘m just questioning whether there are other possible causes. I really can’t remember whether Plusnet capping the speed affects the sync speed or leaves the sync speed alone and just limits the throughput. 

Moderator and Customer

Stein
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not smart enough to say if i'm banded nor not really. But I have a difference of opinion on here one say banding and another saying not.

I have a OP engineer coming this afternoon to check out the situation. I really don't mind if he can't find a fault on the line and it costs me £65 for the pleasure at least I will now if I have problem or not.

Just a little more background on this;

I had a copper line fault, terminations in the junction box on the house from the overhead cable were knackered. This was repaired by OR Engineer. At this point I was using the HG612 so couldn't see the stats. This was connected to an asus dsl-n55u via a lan port. Speedtests done after the repair were the same speed as I'm getting now so I would'nt think that a DLM reset was not done after the repair.

Speeds did increase over the next few days but at that point I was not being [-Censored-] about it (I am now) as I couldn't see modem stats.

Then 14 days later I decided to treat (or should I say puninsh) myself to a new DSL AC68U. I chose another Asus as I had been using the old N55U for 7 years on adsl 1st and then vdsl for the last 5 years.

When I swapped over to the AC68U it did connect at 80mb but noticed loads of errors and for the next 6 days it dropped the connection to what I have now 67mb at the modem.

7 days ago I started using the Vigor 130 into the wanport of the AC68U. Speed has not dropped since but has been stuck on 67, I noticed that my Handback Threshold is 67 as well.

I think and I don't mind other opinions that its one of two things.

1. the cable aroung the house has damage (can't inspect it as it behind plastic cladding)

2. DLM has taken objection to the AC68U and is stuck.

Hopefully today either a cable fault is found or I can talk my way into a reset.

Cheers

Stein
Dabbler

Ok, OR Engineer called from the cab before attending my property and reset DLM without me asking after I described the problem.

After reset connected at 72/20 interleaving down fast path up. Cable was checked out ok.

I asked why only connected 72 down couldn't really explain why.

Engineer then offered to swap the pair at the cab this raised the it to 74.8 so I'm happy that everything possible has been done.

Copy of status below. Will keep my eye on it to see when/if it fast paths and G.Inp.

Will leave this open for a 2 weeks.

I am not on a fixed IP.

Thanks for the feedback.

---------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A/B/C) -----------
Running Mode : 17A State : SHOWTIME
DS Actual Rate : 74792000 bps US Actual Rate : 19999000 bps
DS Attainable Rate : 86191528 bps US Attainable Rate : 34438000 bps
DS Path Mode : Interleave US Path Mode : Fast
DS Interleave Depth : 1089 US Interleave Depth : 1
NE Current Attenuation : 11 dB Cur SNR Margin : 5 dB
DS actual PSD : 1. 0 dB US actual PSD : 12. 6 dB
NE CRC Count : 0 FE CRC Count : 33
NE ES Count : 0 FE ES Count : 4
Xdsl Reset Times : 0 Xdsl Link Times : 1
ITU Version[0] : fe004452 ITU Version[1] : 41590000
VDSL Firmware Version : 05-07-06-0D-01-07 [with Vectoring support]
Power Management Mode : DSL_G997_PMS_L0
Test Mode : DISABLE
-------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
Far Current Attenuation : 13 dB Far SNR Margin : 15 dB
CO ITU Version[0] : b5004244 CO ITU Version[1] : 434da4a1
DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < BDCM >HTTP/1.0 200 OK

---------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A/B/C) -----------
Near End Far End Note
Trellis : 1 1
Bitswap : 1 1
ReTxEnable : 0 0
VirtualNoise : 0 0
20BitSupport : 0 0
LatencyPath : 0 0
LOS : 0 0
LOF : 0 0
LPR : 0 0
LOM : 0 0
SosSuccess : 0 0
NCD : 0 0
LCD : 0 0
FECS : 1925 7099 (seconds)
ES : 0 4 (seconds)
SES : 0 0 (seconds)
LOSS : 0 0 (seconds)
UAS : 30 1072 (seconds)
HECError : 0 0
CRC : 0 33
RsCorrection : 0 0
INP : 0 15 (symbols)
InterleaveDelay : 0 800 (1/100 ms)
NFEC : 254 85
RFEC : 16 16
LSYMB : 5374 23141
INTLVBLOCK : 127 85
AELEM : 0 ----HTTP/1.0 200 OK

Baldrick1

@Stein Thr DLM reset should have set the SNR to 6dB. So if it's a clean line it should improve a bit over time if this reduces to 3dB.

Moderator and Customer

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@Stein  DLM reset also removes Re-Tx (G.Inp), you can see the line is now interleaved. G.Inp should come back after a couple of days which along with SNRM reduction should give you a better speed.