cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Ping During Gaming

gregzy97

High Ping During Gaming

Hi. Over the past few weeks my ping latency has been creeping up and up, and now over the last few days it has been spiking during games to a level where I am continually kicked from servers! I have run a BTW speed test and it tells me there is nothing wrong with my connection. This is half correct. up and down speeds are as expected but ping is always now 100+ ms Sad 

The screenshot shows my ping over the last few days including the spikes today and yesterday when attempting to game. I never had issues before but since my average as crept up to 100ms i have had constant problems. Also included test from think broadband showing ping spikes during downloads.

Can anyone help to improve this so I can get the service I am paying for?

Thanks in advance!

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

3 REPLIES 3
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: High Ping During Gaming

@gregzy97,

Hi there, and welcome to the forums. 

I've tested the service and there are a couple of issues that I think need to be resolved in the first instance. Whether they resolve all the issues you're currently experiencing remain to be seen, but they'll need looking into. 

Firstly, the profile and noise margins on your fibre connection are all wrong. It's difficult to just reset them, but BT Wholesale are running a trial for line resets and I've checked and your line fits the criteria to be eligible. I've popped in on today's list and the reset should go through overnight tonight. 

To pre-empt this reset not fully resolving everything for you, it might be worth advising if it's any particular game(s) that you're experiencing a problem with more than others. Are there any particular times that the spikes appear to be prevalent? Is the connection wired (if wireless could there be any wireless interference that might be causing the lag spikes?). 

gregzy97

Hi!

Thanks for your reply, interesting to hear that the line isn't configured correctly! I often get periods of slow downs to 15mbps,  could this be the cause? Thanks for getting a reset for me though!

I mainly play battlefield 4 so this is where I have experienced most of the problems. I play on a pc with a wired gigabit ethernet connection to my router. I get a ping of 1ms from pc to router so I know my issue isn't internal.

I've been monitoring my connection ping since yesterday and have attached the results so far. As you can see the ping is all over the place. Even though the average appears ok on this, I find in practice that i am constantly experiencing 100+ even just running speed tests.

Thanks again!

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @gregzy97,

Thank you for providing that information and for confirming how you've got things connected on your side. This will come in useful if we need to investigate this issue further.

If you continue these problems after 48 hours of the line being reset (which is due to go ahead tonight) please run through our troubleshooting guides here, just to make absolutely sure that you've ruled out any internal issues. If the troubleshooting checks don't resolve the problem, please report the issue here and let us know when you've completed it.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team