cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hideous download speeds for Apple Updates.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hideous download speeds for Apple Updates.

IIRC this has been mentioned before and I can't recall if there was a resolution to it but judging from the performance I had this morning the answer would be no. I know I have an issue with one of my connections so I configured my router to route my Mac's network traffic out the unaffected WAN.

I then did the Apple upgrade to get a download speed that was no better then when I was on ADSL! It took at least 14 to 15 minutes to download this 750±MB update when it should have been done in about 1.30

Anyone @plusnet are to comment?

2 REPLIES 2
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Hideous download speeds for Apple Updates.

I think that you are correct that this was raised before but, like you, I don't recall the outcome.

I'm not sure that you will find this helpful, but I don't have problems with downloads from Apple to my iPhones. Apps come down a fast as one could hope and OS updates (where there is likely to be more contention at the Apple end) seem to move along quickly when they come by. OK, mine is iPhone, not a MAC, so there is a difference there but it suggests that - whatever is happening to you - it is more subtle than just an Apple/PlusNet problem.

I'm using a Technicolor router connected to an ECI modem. Are you perhaps using a Home Hub? I ask because I recall seeing people in this forum reporting difficulties with Apple hardware if the 2 wireless bands had the same ID.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hideous download speeds for Apple Updates.

@BrightonRock - I agree with you regarding Apps they tend to download at a respectable rate on my iPad. I don't know how big an average download is for the phone as I don't have any sort of mobile due to a lack of signal. It may well be an issue of contention as regards a system update but I suspect that Mac users are in the minority on PNs network.

I'm not using a Home Hub but a DrayTek 2925 Router with dual DrayTek Vigor 130 Modems. The DrayTek is used to provide the 2.4 WiFi and an Apple Time Capsule provides the 5.0. But having said that the Mac in question uses a wired connection.