Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help

dj1234
Dabbler

Help

To Sir, Madam

I have signed up to Plus.net last week for fibre. I would like to know when I have the fibre MK3 or MK4 faceplate put on which will it be out of the two faceplates?.

I would also like to know if the fibre modem input on the faceplate is a RJ11 or RJ45 because I have top quality RJ11 brand new that I have already have in place it 3 weeks old in fact.

Any help on the above will be most welcome.

5 REPLIES 5
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Help

Are you having a new line installed or do you already have a working telephone line at the property?

If it's the former then it's my understanding that the MK4 faceplates came into circulation last month but MK3's are still being installed in certain areas until stock is exhausted. There's no way of telling which it will be I'm afraid.

If you already have a line installed then it's unlikely your faceplate will change at all as our FTTC installations are self-install these days and don't require an engineer visit.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

dj1234
Dabbler

I already have a phone line but do not have a VDSL faceplate of any kind at all but I do know I must be having a engineer because he will have to connect me up at the green box some 50 meters away only ever had standard broadband so been using micro filter.

I understand the HUB ONE has a VDSL modem in it but I want to know if I do have a new faceplate can I use my solid copper core rj11 to rj11 cable that I have only had 3 weeks to plug in to the faceplate and it to the HUB ONE for my fibre broadband?.

With Thanks

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

@dj1234 wrote:

I already have a phone line but do not have a VDSL faceplate of any kind at all but I do know I must be having a engineer because he will have to connect me up at the green box some 50 meters away only ever had standard broadband so been using micro filter.

But that does not require the engineer to visit your property. All the engineer has to do is jumper your line across to the cabinet and his work is done. BT introduced self-install a while back as they did with ADSL A dedicated faceplate is still the best solution (as it was with ADSL) but micro-filters are still usable with FTTC. In fact I believe that your existing filters will be fine.

If you want to fit a filtered faceplate that's up to you. They are cheap and easy to fit yourself.

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/adsl-faceplate

dj1234
Dabbler

Well I think I will buy my self a MK3 or MK4 openreach faceplate and fit it my self.

If I am going to do it I may as well do it all the right way the first time.

Just to price up the faceplates see if I can find a good deal on a genuine part not so cheap knock off.

Thank you for all your help.
arktos
Rising Star

My query is similar to that of the original poster. My own installation which I did some years ago consists of a filtered faceplate on the master socket, and cat5e solid cable to a dedicated broadband socket where my computer is. So last year, when I upgraded to fibre, I changed only the ADSL Nation Faceplate for a BT Mk3 version, and everything has been fine.

I understand that what I had already installed was very similar to what Openreach were then doing as standard managed fibre installs, but some of the Plusnet reps took a bit of persuading , saying that as I hadn't had fibre before, a self-install wouldn't be possible, presumably because the filtered faceplate and dedicated extension were deemed essential, (and my description of what I had already installed was not recognised until I found an enlightened rep.)

So after having to try very hard to get the fibre without an engineer visit, I am a bit confused by what we are now being told. A very elderly couple who I help with their computer have just ordered a fibre upgrade (due this week) and noting that the old ADSL router was plugged into an old CW1308-wired extension socket, I advised them to stipulate an engineer installation (to get the filtered faceplate etc. which I had been told last year by Plusnet was essential for fibre). 

I was surprised to learn that Plusnet are now saying that this isn't necessary or provided any more, although acknowledging that this gives the "best results".  I'm a bit worried now about having recommended a Plusnet fibre upgrade to them, because although I will install the new router for them, if problems ensue from using the old wiring, this upgrade could prove expensive for them if a chargeable BT callout has to be arranged to deal with the wiring.

Their bungalow has been extended in the past, and I've never even found the master socket, so I guess that it and the wiring have been built-around somewhere. If I had realised that a seemingly necessary part of a fibre install was no longer included in the Plusnet package, I probably wouldn't have recommended the upgrade to them in their situation. I hadn't spotted anything about this in the website description of the package, and am surprised that the engineer-install which I had difficulty in avoiding last year (and didn't need) is no longer available to my elderly disabled friends who have been with Plusnet for over eight years.