Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with user name, account name.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Help with user name, account name.

Tried this one, it got the location wrong and not as much info but shows my hostname, my account name clearly, https://ipinfo.io/what-is-my-ip
If that site shows your hostname(rDNS) as <accountname>.plus.com, then you do have a static IP. Only static IP's have that form of rDNS. If that is the case then resetting the router will have no effect, you will get allocated the same IP every time
The solution would be to either request removal of the static IP or ask for the rDNS to be anonomised to
<ip-address>.plus.com (although that is becoming difficult to achieve recently!)

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Stringwalker
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Sorry for the confusion, it will give all IP details but it also shows my host name, say my account name is bob35, if you click on more information below it will show this.

Decimal: 528313785
Hostname: bob35.plus.com
ASN: 6871
ISP: Plusnet
Organization: Plusnet
Services: None detected
Type: Broadband
Assignment: Likely Static IP
Continent: Europe

As you can see my account name is being used, I thought when I signed up my account name was just to log in to my account, I didn't know it would be used as a my host name.

This site is very basic, some sites show the phone brand, model number, software, everything and the ability to provide a procise location.
Stringwalker
Rising Star

I didn't know I had a static IP address, it doesn't show in my router settings, I thought only I could assign a static IP.

I'm using a family members phone as I only have streaming devices at the minute so a bit limited at the moment.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I thought only I could assign a static IP.

No, you can't assign any public IP, only PlusNet can do that. Your public IP is assigned by the PPPoE connection. All that happens with a static IP, is that the PlusNet systems assign an IP from a different range and always assign the same one, effectively making it static.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Stringwalker
Rising Star

Ok thank you. I've tried controlling my internet but it's just impossible with savvy youngsters, thank you all for your help and replies.
Stringwalker
Rising Star

External IP Change

Hi, sorry to bother you all again, just an update. I recently posted a topic about my user name and my external IP address.

Someone mentioned that I may have a static IP address and my external IP could not be changed.

After talking with technical support on the phone I was told I haven't got a ststic IP and I just need to reset my router to change my external IP which I originally thought, as from a security perspective this would be sensible.

Stringwalker
Rising Star

Re: External IP Change

Also my routers firmware shows 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 11/04/17,
is my routers firmware up to date, 17?

Are hub one's updated regularly for security?, thank you.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: External IP Change

Moderators Note

Topics merged.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @Stringwalker 

I've raised a NetOps task to anonymise your username from the rDNS of your static IP.

With regards to your router firmware last updated on 11/04/17 normally this suggests your router has for one reason or another dropped off the hardware management platform. However as far as I'm aware the firmware version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 was released in 2019 and is the latest version - we're due to roll out a new version within the next few months...

I've readded your router details onto the hardware management platform now. If you can factory reset your router by pushing a paperclip into the reset pin hole at the back for 20 seconds, you may see the firmware timestamp update within the next 24-48 hours. Either way though you seem to be on the latest version.

[edit]

To clarify the bit about the static IP you do have one we've automatically added free of charge, because the broadband firewall is activated. We'd automatically apply a static IP if you enable the broadband firewall, the Pro Addon (although I believe this is now a legacy product and may had since been discontinued) or go into failed payment. This is due to how these services work on our network (broadband firewall, pro addon and the failed payment process)

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Stringwalker
Rising Star

Hi, thank you for your reply, just spoke to you support team again because I forgot something, they still say its not static.

They tried pushing through a firmware update today and change my external but it didn't work. There going to get it manually changed hopefully.

Just one more thing, when we run a network test on an Xbox it says NAT is open, I'm bit alarmed at this, can this be changed it the routers settings. Why would I need a static IP just because of my routers firewall is enabled or is there another ISP firewall.

Never had a router that was so limited or locked down, it would be a lot easy if the access control worked and couldn't be so easily bypassed when it does, thank you.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

NAT been open isn’t a bad thing on the Xbox, shows you have good connectivity to xbox live, a lot of people actually desire this. Totally unrelated to having a static ip or not.

You don’t need static ip unless you are running a service or need to access something on your local network whilst away from it.

As above you’re already on the latest firmware for the router.

You can always replace the PN one with another one if you’re that unhappy, but that won’t change the fact you have static ip
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Stringwalker
Rising Star

I would prefer a dynamic IP for security, Static IP addresses pose a potential security weak point, hackers will have time to attack the network.

As my IP has been compromised, I can't
monitor all the devices using my network, I wanted it changed. As for my NAT settings, I have always used port forwarding in the past, setting static IP's for any device or program that needed it etc. I just wanted to know my routers NAT settings and how to change them if needed, thank you.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Stringwalker You were 100% on a static IP when I checked unless you’ve turned off the broadband firewall. We’d add this automatically due to how our broadband firewall works, the endpoint where your connection terminates on our network is different with a static IP compared to a dynamic one. There’s no drawbacks with having a static IP, if anything there’s advantages depending on what you use the internet for.

The broadband firewall is not your router firewall, it’d be your ISP firewall as you call it: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-plusnets-broadband-firewall/

As far as I’m aware our support team myself included can’t push firmware updates, that’s either done automatically or manually by our products team. You are on the latest version though but try a factory reset of your router as that may update the timestamp you’re seeing. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Stringwalker
Rising Star

As for a static IP not having any drawbacks, every security and antivirus vender would disagree. I have turned off the firewall so it can now be hopefully changed.

As for my open NAT, I have not changed it, it should not be open, either type 2 or 3. I have UPnP turned of for security reasons as well so could you please tell me how to set my NAT type back to its default or what I want it to be, thank you.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The advantages of the broadband firewall are greater than any perceived disadvantages of having a static IP. If you’ve turned this firewall off, you don’t have the pro addon (you’d see this on your bills at £5 a month if you did) or you don’t fall into failed payment then we’ll remove your static IP within 24-48 hours and it’ll take effect after your connection drops for example a reboot of your router.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet