Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with user name, account name.

Stringwalker
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Help with user name, account name.

Hi, I don't usually do the posting or trouble shooting on the forum but I have had to learn a bit more because of my stepson.

If I visit a site that can read my IP address it shows not only my IP address, my device I'm using, browser etc but it clearly shows my Plusnet account name.

I am concerned as my user name is for some reason the same as my account name as I was told my forum name could be changed but it can't.

Surely a Google search would show my name on here, this must be s security risk, why would Plusnet show my account name when I use the web.

And can I change my forum name as this also is not advisable, thanks.
33 REPLIES 33
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: Help with user name, account name.

What browser you using?

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Stringwalker
Rising Star

Thanks for reply, at the time Chrome but since tried others, same result.
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 11

Which site are you going to ? Are you on a fixed IP ?

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@Stringwalker Have you got any add on's installed? I must admit I don't use Chrome at all but you could try installing Privacy Badger. I've used that on Firefox for a couple of years now with no problems at all. As @Champnet  says which site you going to? When I was with PN, I was on a static IP and can't recall my username etc ever being displayed when visiting external websites.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 11

Fixed IP will show username unless you ask staff to change it.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

The OP needs the rDNS record changing to show the IP address instead of the username. You used to be able to raise a ticket for this but that's gone and first line support haven't got a clue and say it can't be done.  Gandalf can do it, see this thread.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/rDNS-Change-Please-IS-THIS-STILL-POSSIBLE/m-p/1801052#... 

Mav
Fixes: 514

@Stringwalker wrote:
And can I change my forum name as this also is not advisable, thanks.

Your forum name can be changed by one of the mods. Simply PM one of us with details of the new name you wish to use and we'll action that for you. Please be aware that you may get a Password Reset Request email but you may reuse the same one if you so wish.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Stringwalker
Rising Star

Hi, thanks for replies, no add ons, will find the sites that I used and post them, no static IP address used, I think it was every site that checked my IP address.

It just includes my account name and plus.com at the end. Will pm a moderator to have my user name changed, thank you all.
Stringwalker
Rising Star

Tried this one, it got the location wrong and not as much info but shows my hostname, my account name clearly, https://ipinfo.io/what-is-my-ip
Stringwalker
Rising Star

Even this one https://www.infobyip.com/
If my router is reset will this change my IP address, assign a new one. And if they can change my user name on here that would make me feel safer.

It give this address as well on some IP checkers

PlusNet Plc
address: The Balance
address: 2 Pinfold Street
address: Sheffield
address: S1 2GU
address: UK
phone: +44 114 2200084
Stringwalker
Rising Star

Sorry for my ignorance but how do you PM a moderator, is it under my profile.
Mav
Fixes: 514

@Stringwalker 

Click on my name in the grey box on the left then, under Contact Me, click on Send Private Message.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Stringwalker
Rising Star

I hope I'm not over reacting but I just think my hostname should not be the same as my account name.

Will a router reset change my IP address, there is one more bit of information that I found out on one particular IP lookup site, you can update the highly inaccurate location given, this is not advised my the site as it will give s very accurate position of your location.

You can try this on https://whatismyipaddress.com/ but it warns against it, many thanks.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Stringwalker  I can't see my account username on the sites you have shown, just an IP address and that it is BT or Plusnet or wrong.

I don't how they can know your username or are you saying you host a website with the name the same as your account username?