Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with rubbish UPLOAD speed?

God1
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Help with rubbish UPLOAD speed?

Hi Folks

My upload speed is pretty disastrous and wonder if you can offer some help /advice?

My Router is a D7000v2 – Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router running the latest firmware. The router returns connection speeds of 79998 kbps Downstream and 19999 kbps Upstream.

I have no problems streaming, gaming or downloading files but uploading files is S L O W.

I have run lots of speed tests from my PC and Phone the results are all similar I get between 58-68 Mbps download but only 0.25 Mbps upload. I am on Unlimited Fibre Extra so should get up to 20 Mbps I know I may not get full speed but 0.25 is just daft!

I have attached a copy of my router stats.

I am running wi-fi only Ethernet cable is not an option for me. I just find it odd I get great DL but awful UL. Any ideas?

25 REPLIES 25
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Help with rubbish UPLOAD speed?

You say Ethernet is not used but your router stats show LAN port 4 as being connected with a significant level of traffic ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

God1
Dabbler

Two devices connect via power line plugs rather than a direct Ethernet cable.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Do those devices suffer from slow upload as well ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

God1
Dabbler

I'll need to swap devices to find out as they are currently a TV and XBOX. I'll switch one to my PC tonight and see.
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @God1, sorry to hear about your problems with upload.

Since you mentioned you've only tried this on wifi or powerline adaptors it might be worth testing via a direct connection to the router.

I know you said that ethernet connection isn't a viable option for your daily use but is it possible you could try this just to troubleshoot the problem?

I'd recommend removing as many variables as possible back down to the router and let us know how you get on.

God1
Dabbler

Hi MisterW

I took a 9.8mb file and uploaded it to plusnet FTP space with Filezilla with speed limits disabled the results were:

Wifi = 3m 24s

Ethernet - Powerline = 3m 18s

So both about the same and as you can see VERY slow!

God1
Dabbler

Hi Matt

I have ordered a 20m Ethernet cable which I can run through to try a temporary connection to my PC. Should arrive tomorrow, I'll try  the same test with the same file to Plusnet FTP and see what speed I get.

Cheers.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Are all your upload tests to the FTP server?

Just to rule that out, can you do a conventional speed test

God1
Dabbler

Speed test results were included in the original post, or are you meaning something else?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm meaning the BT wholesale speed test http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

God1
Dabbler

The results were:

DL 67.84

UL 0.10

Ping Latency 54

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks. That does seem to rule out the FTP server as being part of the problem. If you could repeat that test when you get the network cable then I'm sure the PN help team will pursue the problem.

Another thought, do you have a PN supplied hub one to try with, just to eliminate your router as the problem

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Let us know when you've been able to test speeds and uploads to FTP over ethernet. As MisterW mentioned, it would be a good idea to try a different router if that's a possibility for you too. - Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
God1
Dabbler

OK we are getting somewhere! It is something to do with the router.

Here are the results:

FTP Test

Direct Ethernet cable 3m 28m

Direct Ethernet cable and Wifi Disabled 3m 07s

Different Router 0m 16s!

BT Speedtest Direct Ethernet cable

DL 70.72

UL 0.24

PL 20

Different Router

DL 71.12

UL 20.64!

PL 36

So, it is either a fault with the router or I suspect a setting in the router causing the problem… I am not sure what the likely culprit is though, where would you suggest I start hunting?