cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with line stats /sync speed (Upgrading to Fibre Extra)

FIXED
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with line stats /sync speed (Upgrading to Fibre Extra)

Hi, maybe someone can advise / point me in the right direction here.

Currently I'm on 40/10 and happy with the speed and my router stats showing the ip profile data rate as 39996/9994kbps.

The max rate shown is 53368/14809kbps.

Does this mean that if I upgrade to the 80/20 package, the max speed I can possibly achieve is ~53/14.

Or will the max rate be able to increase? I was under the impression that this was the maximum sync speed with the cabinet that is possible on my line.

5 REPLIES 5
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Help with line stats /sync speed (Upgrading to Fibre Extra)

Yes.

Unless you move closer to the cabinet, or do something to improve your line condition, the max you will get is 53 14.

However:

Do you have a filtered Master Socket?

Do you get faster max attainable speeds if you plug the router into the test socket?

What does the BTW DSL checker say your line should give?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried to attach a screenshot to the original post, maybe it didn't work.

Dsl checker shows range A (clean): 76.7/20 high.

Non-filtered master socket 5C.
I'll give the test socket a go and report back.

Thanks
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Sorry missed your DSL ceck in your post - so as per my earlier post, you will need to improve your line condition and should get higher speeds - a filtered master socket will filter out any extension wiring you may have - checking from the test socket is the first step - also check your phone line for noise - dial 17070 option 2.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Fix

@Anonymous 

There are a couple of factors that are important, these are not only the sync speed but also the SNR. The DLM in the FTTC cabinet sets the best compromise between speed and error rate by adjusting the SNR, which in turn affects the sync speed. The lower the SNR the faster the sync rate. However only to an extent set by DLM limits.

Currently you have a 6.5dB SNR and sync of 53296kbps on download. This is more than adequate for your 40/10 service. There's no point in the DLM reducing the SNR or increasing your sync speed any further. If you were to transfer to the 80/20 service the DLM would retrain your line and providing that there is relatively low background noise reduce the SNR and increase your speed. The SNR on a good line will go as low as 3dB. Note that SNR is a logarithmic scale so that does not mean that the sync would double, but it would improve! In answer to the obvious question it all depends on how much noise you have on the line.

If you have a non filtered faceplate and extension wiring then I would advise getting a filtered faceplate. They are available from the likes of Amazon. Note that there are two types, the old design is held on with two screws, the newer ones just clip on. They are not interchangeable. You will no longer need the ugly dangly filters and you will get the best possible network connection.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah that makes perfect sense.
Thank you for the detailed explanation 👍