cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with fibre not sure what’s going on.

Catpuss
Grafter

Help with fibre not sure what’s going on.

Ok plusnet fibre at the beginning of the year had previously successfully attached Bt hub, in March kept loads of drop out plusnet did something all resolved, been working fine, until approx 3 weeks ago, kept getting pages not loading on iPad , YouTube worked, Facebook would give messages you have reconnected to the internet, even though my iPad said I was connected . Very strange certain pages on iPad load for a few seconds then a white screen , plusnet said it’s a WiFi problem , done usual reboot etc, but today could not connect to a TEAMS meeting, all I had was Me, I  was the only one who could not take part. Any suggestions? Like certain things are working & others are not. Weird.  

23 REPLIES 23
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Help with fibre not sure what’s going on.

@Catpuss This may not help, but I have found it works for me  - on iPads/phones (and other equipment too). Totally log off the iPad, close it down completely, wait a minute, then power it up again - electronic equipment can get itself 'confused' occasionally.

John
Catpuss
Grafter

Hi John thanks for reply yes already done  iPad reset, the teams meeting was on laptop only just booted that up took ages. Just don”t understand not saying it”s offline until it reconnects. Then only certain things not working. Thanks for your help.

jab1
Legend

OK - next thing is to check your internet connections &c.

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Please report the 'Additional Diagnostics', and sight of the Help Desk tab would be a start.

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of you phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

Sight of your 'Help Desk' from your router - with personal details obscured - would also help.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @Catpuss

I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your fibre connection. I've tested your line today and the tests aren't showing any issues with the broadband signal going into your router, do you have a laptop or computer you can plug into your router using an ethernet cable to compare the quality of your connection over those on WiFi?

I'll add below a copy of the tests I've run just for reference:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID [redacted]

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 40.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 10.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 425.0
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-08-18T15:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps
Up Time 792.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.5 Sec
Retrains 0.0 2.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2021-08-31T14:33:26.309+01:00 2021-08-31T14:48:26.309+01:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

Here's also how your connection's been doing going back to the 19th August

image16304183482009

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Catpuss
Grafter

Hi John will try to do later many thanks for help got painter here , difficult to concentrate whilst in progress.  Many thanks for support

Catpuss
Grafter

Thanks plusnet you lot are on the ball, yeah I know it says I have no outages, my system no telling me disconnected only telling me when reconnecting. done a couple of BT speed h is today. Not sure if that means anything. Thanks for getting involved F5742312-B68D-4983-9695-D242452F4D6B.png5CCC96F9-4A64-4F9C-8C08-407E8C51FEAC.png

jab1
Legend

@Catpuss Those speed-tests are totally fictitious - no way can you get that result on a 40/10 connection. What I have asked for, you can ignore - the details provided by @Gandalf confirm there are no external problems, so it looks like it is something in your internal set-up.

John
Catpuss
Grafter

Where do I go from here?  I have a BT hub, split signal, done the normal reboots, nothing has changed my end unless something not aware of.any suggestions? 

jab1
Legend

I don't honestly know, @Catpuss - there is nothing wrong with your connection to the internet - in fact you have a really good one - and apart from the odd loss, as shown in the Radius graph, there is nothing untoward with the connection - the drops you see on there are nothing to worry about as they are transient and fairly well spaced.

Unless @Gandalf (or possibly another Community member, if anyone looks) has any other ideas, the only thing I can suggest is very local I.e. in your home, interference. Is it possible to connect the laptop to the router via an ethernet cable and see if that retains constant connection? If it does, then it is wireless issues and unfortunately there is nothing anyone other than yourself can do about that.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@Catpuss wrote:

Where do I go from here?  I have a BT hub, split signal, done the normal reboots, nothing has changed my end unless something not aware of.any suggestions? 

Do you have a laptop or computer you can plug into the router with an ethernet cable?

That'll be a good starting point if possible and tell us if the issue's down to the WiFi or there's something else at play. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jab1
Legend

@Gandalf Snap - see the end of my last paragraph.😉

@Catpuss Are the items having these problems all Apple? - if so, I may have a suggestion.

John
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

@jab1  Might be worth @Catpuss checking DNS settings on all devices.

Can't help as I'm away for a few days..........................

jab1
Legend

Could be, @Champnet  - but if the affected devices are all Apple, I've seen this situation before. A complete device reboot, and/or a 'forget this device' and reconnection has resolved the issue.

John
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

@jab1  Connecting to own network, not a neighbours ?

Forget that, a re-boot will sort it....