cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help urgently needed...IP address hacked

Hudsonjames
Dabbler

Re: Help urgently needed...IP address hacked

A broadband connection or IP address for a general user or home user I would like to say don’t generally get hacked all though there has been the odd case it’s hacking a connection and IP address takes time and will raise a lot of attention from the person that is being hacked due to the massive drop in their broadband speed and by the provider hosting this connection and as most providers these days have security on their network it would probably get blocked in some way or they will eventually find the person responsible connection hacking usually happens to large businesses or banks who have something worth hacking into that would justify all the time and trouble and the time the hacker would spend in prison for computer fraud .
Pinkcat007
Dabbler

I’m hopeful that by beefing up our security with the addition of 2fa and an authenticor app that our problems will alleviate however I’m minded to think that my phone (old iPhone 6) seems to be an issue since it hadmt been updated in ages and has started running slow. I’m going to upgrade tomorow and get a new handset...I do tend to carry out everything on my phone, including Microsoft log in, Xbox live log for changing details and generally keeping an eye on my son’s online activity 🤣🤣 and maybe that’s where some of the compromises have happened? Thanks for your help and advice x
Pinkcat007
Dabbler

Thanks Alex, that’s good info. I’ve changed my passwords for most things now and actually written them down in a book which is a pain hey ho.
I feel there may still be an underlying issue (although I seem to have now secured the gaming website and Microsoft which was the main thing), I just logged in to my tesco mobile website to look at upgrades and when I went into my email account tesco had sent me a security message asking if it was me that just made a log in to their site. Perhaps I’m just getting paranoid though 🤣🤷🏼‍♀️
Hudsonjames
Dabbler

I would recommend 2fa authentication on ALL online accounts including PayPal ebay generally any online service that requires a password
Pinkcat007
Dabbler

Yes, I agree, 2fa is the way to go. I’ve got a new phone coming tomorow...do I need to run some sort of anti malware scan on old phone before I download all my apps on the new iPhone? I’m sorry I’m such a novice. I don’t want to transfer any issues over to my new phone.
Hudsonjames
Dabbler

You can get antivirus for iPhone not required iPhones don’t easily get viruses but better safe than sorry
Hudsonjames
Dabbler

If you ever get a call from someone claiming to be from Microsoft and there is a virus in your computer put the phone down it’s a scan
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes anyone will try it on, I have had people ring my sister's landline and pretend to be from BT. Luckily I know how to deal with it, the next it happens I will mess them around for as long as possible.

Mum used to pass them onto me, and I will waste as much time for the scam artists as I can.

Yep the old Microsoft one is old, my sister was even clever enough to allow a remote session (told me afterwards). I thought she had more sense that, but as my dad used to used to say "Common sense is not very common". I said to her, you should have given all your usernames, passwords, card details and CVC codes whilst you were there! I don't think she saw the funny side of that, but I meant it.

When my mum used to get them, she'd pass them onto me and I would wind them up with basic technical questions.

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

"We're phoning about the car accident." "Oh, the one two months ago?" "Yes, you may claim compensation for any injuries, time off work and other financial losses."

"I don't think that will be possibly, I was killed in that one!".

Click.

Hudsonjames
Dabbler

As far as I know plusnet have a call feature that should filter such calls
Pinkcat007
Dabbler

Just to update, I have a new iPhone as there was some sort of hacking that had gone on.

We’ve had no more issues on the Xbox.

Every single password, in excess of 70, stored in my keychain on my phone had been comromised. I’ve deleted or changed the passwords accordingly and since then had no further issue. Thanks to everyone that helped xx
Hudsonjames
Dabbler

If you are going to store passwords in a phone you should use a service like 1Password or dashlane more secure
Pinkcat007
Dabbler

Is the password keychain not secure? I will look at the other options you’ve suggested...I’m so paranoid now 😩
Hudsonjames
Dabbler

I am not talking about the keychain that comes built into your iPhone this is something different it is encrypted and uses a independent app and can be setup with Touch ID or a good password i f you google dashlane you will get more info or go into the App Store and lookup 1Password have been using 1Password for a few years never any issues but dashlane is better but at a cost I would never use the keychain feature that is built into iPhone as all content in an iPhone is automatically uploaded to iCloud photos contacts emails and I believe. Even text message iCloud is generally safe but I don’t know what their encryption is like android phones do something similar all smart phones do it as it makes it simpler when purchasing or upgrade to new phone one password and all your content transfers to new phone I would recommend looking into the dashlane website and the 1Password app and look at the security features they provide when you switch on your iPhone does the apple logo look like it has a line or crack through it did you have it unlocked in town could be jail broken.
Pinkcat007
Dabbler

I just looked into Dashlane. It looks good...I didn’t notice a price but I will look into it further.
I just don’t know how all my passwords got hacked...obviously it started from my sons outlook account getting hacked and the progressed from there....I know my iPhone 6 must have got hacked as every single stored password was compromised...my phone called it a data breach. There were over 70 passwords. I can only think that I use my iPhone for everything, including my sons things (Microsoft login, outlook, Instagram etc as he is only 11 and it’s just easier for me to set things up!!). I’ve actually deleted most of the passwords now or made new ones. Interestingly, there were several hacked passwords that had had someone log in (not me ) as the date shown to be last logged in was 14 November. They were mainly American ones I had on there, like Hard Rock Hotel, Disney , Norwegian Air. Worryingly also my PAYE/HMRC.

I’m hoping now that I have a new phone and changed passwords we can now move on as it’s been awful. Incidentally we know who the hacker is..it was an American bloke who was a follower on Instagram...he messaged my son to say what he had done....absolutely unbelievable.