Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help understanding analysis

FIXED
mickyl
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Help understanding analysis

I was wondering whether anyone in the wider plusnet community could help me understand the analysis that had been posted on my ticket. I’ve moved house and took plusnet with me but there have been serious issues with my fibre for 6 weeks dropping out a minimum of 100 times per day. Openreach have dug the road up and fixed a connection issue but this has not resolved the issue fully with drop outs now perhaps 30 times a day. They are sending an Engineer round to my house and it could cost £65 which I’m not happy about but at this stage I’ll happily pay it as my 4G costs are costing at least that. Could the plusnet router be the cause? I’m not sure. Anyway here is the analysis. It’s like a foreign Language

INTERNAL **

KBD
Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1613
Description Potential HR Joint detected on GEA service. Please continue to submit a trouble report
Main Fault Location CE
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 15.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 6.0 Mbps
Appointment Required Y
Fault Report Advised Y
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 1098.4
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From12:15to16:45
Interference Location Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days 4
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2020-04-23T16:00:00
GEA Test Detail

8 REPLIES 8
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Help understanding analysis

“ Potential HR Joint detected ” shows there is a fault that needs investigating.
It unlikely this would lead to a engineer charge.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@mickyl 

HR normally means in the electrical and radio world, a high resistance, caused by a bad connection on the line.

This may be due to moisture ingress at a junction, causing corrosion and increasing the resistance, causing issue with the phone & broadband systems.

Fixing requires the joint to be remade, and the junction box sealed agains moisture, followed by tests to ensure the issue has been resolved.

So

Main Fault Location CE looks like the fault may be at your property, if its Openreaches side of the connection box, its their problem and there should be no charge

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 15.0 Mbps Seems a bit low for your distance, hopefully the repair wil fix it, 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL is the site to check what speeds you should be getting.

Upstream Speed 6.0 Mbps
Appointment Required Y
Fault Report Advised Y
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected Good
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected Good
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected Good
Cross Talk Not Detected Good
Estimated Line Length In Metres 1098.4 Good
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily Not Good
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From12:15to16:45 Not Good, what is happening electrically in the house or garden during this time? Interference can be caused by lots of things, both man made and natural. Man made can be bad electrical connections, faulty or low standard electrical equipment, central heating systems 
Interference Location Customer Premise Not Good
Interference Observed In Days 4
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected Good, so it may be on their portion of the line

My comments in bold

Please let us know how you got on.

mickyl
Hooked

Thanks for taking the time and getting back, that’s really informative. The intermittent connection has been going on since 16th March and still not resolved. Engineers have been to the cabinet twice with battery connection issues and they’ve even dug the road up to fix an issue!
I was wondering whether upgrading the firmware to the latest version would help as I’m currently on 4.7.5.1.83.8.227 which I think is quite old and other threads on the plusnet community say that this can cause major connection issues. Stressed out trying to work from home with poor to no wifi.
mickyl
Hooked

Thanks for getting back. Hopefully it’s a problem on their end.
dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@mickyl 

Is there an issue with the phone, ie crackling or other noise?

If the issue is the line then changing the firmware in the modem probsbley will not solve the issue,however you could 

request Plusnet to force an update.

Re no wifi, that is another issue and is dependant on other things like the construction of the property, the band usage, ie are you in an area where there are lots more properties all using wifi?

There are comments on the community about splitting the bands, have a look around, as I do not use the Plusnet Hub except as a backup ot for problem solving. 

mickyl
Hooked

Thanks. I’ll wait for the Engineer as it’s an old house and there could be external issues
Tibzor
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 25

Hi @mickyl

Sorry to hear about this ongoing issue. I can see that you have an engineer visit tomorrow. Let us know if you will still have any problems after this visit.

mickyl
Hooked

Fix
Engineer came out and the wires leading to the house were shredded. It’s an old house and the wires are overhead. As soon as the wire were upgraded further down the street everything seemed to work and the speed went up and it hasn’t dropped out for 9 hours. I’ll keep an eye on it and watch he speeds over the next few days but touch wood this had fixed it. Thanks to all who helped me it was much appreciated.