Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed from plusnet please

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Help needed from plusnet please

For many years I've suffered very low upstream sync speeds (often down at 0.5Mbps) This is mainly caused by aluminium cables and a ECI roadside cabinet.

A few months back I notice a nice new Huawei cabinet had sprung up beside the existing ECI one, if only I could get move to the new Huawei cabinet I'm sure my upstream would be better - worst case I would get G.inp enabled Smiley

I've tried asking BT Openreach with no success, in fact with very little response from them Sad

Now I heard that if I downgrade to ADSL and then upgrade back to fibre then there's a chance of getting on the new cabinet.

Can one of the helpful plusnet guys please advice on this and say whether plusnet are prepared to facilitate the move? I'd be happy to pay for re-connection work.

26 REPLIES 26
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Help needed from plusnet please

Hi there. We're more than happy to move your connection to a closer cabinet, but sadly our suppliers aren't able to arrange the move without engineer notes to advise that. If we do arrange an engineer visit, there'd be a potential call-out charge if the engineer passes the job back as right when tested/no fault found.

Additionally, it might be more complicated if the phone line needs to be routing differently (as opposed to just the broadband routing). In that case, it'd require a brand new line installation and even then the odds aren't great. Sad

I'm sorry that this response is probably not what you were hoping for.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
npr
Pro

Thanks, how much would it cost to downgrade to adsl and then upgrade to a new fibre connection?
Can you tell if the new cabinet is active yet?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks, how much would it cost to downgrade to adsl and then upgrade to a new fibre connection?

It'll basically just cost the cancellation fees of your fibre contract. But if DSL Checker isn't updated with the new cabinet, then we'd be placing the fibre order against the same cab you're on now and the routing would likely be the same too.

Can you tell if the new cabinet is active yet?

I sadly use the same tools as you for checking things like this.

Do you know anyone on that cabinet you can put their address into DSL Checker?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
npr
Pro

@Gandalf wrote:

It'll basically just cost the cancellation fees of your fibre contract.

My plusnet contract expires in 3 weeks, so from what you're saying it may be better to just move elsewhere to adsl. Undecided

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If you're looking to go back onto ADSL, we can provide you with that.

If you let me know closer to the time when you're wanting to go ahead I'll be happy to arrange a call back.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If a second cabinet is being installed because the first is full you might do better to order a new second line and check that is OK before cancelling the first.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ordering a second line might do the trick, but then again it'll depend on how the line is routed when the pair divert engineer goes out to work out the routing. It's also depends on whether the line at their address can be served by the new cab.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
npr
Pro

There's no working out the routing. All lines in the street go back the PCP cabinet from there it can go to either the new or old VDSL cabinet (assuming the new cabinet is active).
Can this question please be escalated and queried with Openreach.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@npr

Does the new cabinet have a number stencilled on it? What does the CodeLook website say for your Exchange?

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

While information on here needs to be taken with a pinch of salt (it's usually way behind) it might tell you if your cabinet is having its capacity expanded and if so what the expected "live date" is. Are there any new cabinets showing which are not yet live (so won't have post codes against them!!!).

My local Exchange has at least 4 new cabinets with one (P34) showing an expected live date of September. For local reasons I was extremely surprised to find it being installed just up the road - I saw an OpenReach road works advisory which confirmed the cab number and saw OR at work installing it on Sunday.

Is there a local superfast broadband project which might be funding the new cabinet (if it's not a capacity upgrade)?

Brian

npr
Pro

@jelv

Not sure if the original cabinet is full ( I doubt it) or if the new one is actually active. I've tried asking the questions of OR but getting nowhere.
Ordering a new line may be a risky strategy, I know I'm on the best available pair -- some of the other available ones are really bad I know cos I've been on some of them.

npr
Pro

@bmc

The PCP cabinet is showing as:-
"FTTC Available from 12th July 2012, being expanded by April 2018, some with 18/2M product"
Guess that means it may be April before it's active. No indication that the old cabinet is full.

Is there a local superfast broadband project which might be funding the new cabine.

Good question, but seen nothing to indicate this.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@npr

So technically capacity is being expanded via a second cabinet. I would suggest it's not live yet and it would be any bodies guess when it is. The CodeLook site is currently using an OR database dated 30th November so that puts it at least 2 months behind. Even then you never know. My cabinet shows no fibre available which is quite amusing as I've been on FTTP since mid November (or was it the beginning of December???).

CodeLook will eventually show something like "capacity expanded *** 2018" so at least then you'll know it's live!!!

There was a new cabinet installed near me for a Dec 2016 operating date  which was at least 6 months past its "due live" date - though in mitigation it was built to migrate 60 odd EO lines. Last I heard (in August) there were about 30 odd lines had failed the migration and it was going to take at least 3 months to sort. At the same time we heard the 4 local TPON cabinets were to get FTTP. Now the estate which had the EO lines was a mixture of EO and TPON supplied so they were getting a mixture of FTTC and FTTP. The reason I mention this is guess where the latest cabinet is going. Unless OR have failed to fix the problems with the last new cabinet of there are problems with the FTTP installation (which appears to have stalled) then there is no need of this new cabinet.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

There's no working out the routing. All lines in the street go back the PCP cabinet from there it can go to either the new or old VDSL cabinet (assuming the new cabinet is active).

A pair divert engineer goes out for new line installations to put the routing on the order.

Can this question please be escalated and queried with Openreach.

If you're wanting to query this with Openreach, I'd recommend filling out this formwize

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
npr
Pro

I've already queried this with Openreach, they want to pass the issue to the ISP.

"I have checked  and there is no evidence that moving to the new cabinet would change the speed of your service.

Looking at the speed checker  the 0.5 you are getting is below the expected speed.  I am unable to see any fault reports on your records so I would suggest you contact your ISP for them to check the speeds, they will then contact us if they require any assistance" 

Is it too much to ask for someone to be helpful and not just pass the issue back and forward with nothing ever being achieved. Sad