Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - Speed Issues

nigelbrand05
Hooked

Help - Speed Issues

Good afternoon

Just been loking at my current router stats and noticed something strange.  My download speed is 39.993Mbps with a noise margin of 6.0dB but my upload speed seems to halved and is currently 5.382Mbps with a noise margin of 9.9dB.  My upload speed is usually approx 9Mbps.  Can Plusnet give me any idea why?  Am I right in thinking that if there is a problem with my profile then the download speed would be affected.  Please note that I am an amateur when it comes to things like this.  

Many thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Help - Speed Issues

Hi @nigelbrand05

I'm really sorry to see you're having upload speed issues.

I've tested your line just now and the tests aren't showing the cause for this.

From what I can see your connection hasn't dropped for around 40 days, so I'd recommend turning your router off for 5 minutes and then back on first as this may bring your speed back up to where it should be.

If things haven't improved, could you try plugging your router into what's known as the test socket explained Here found behind the faceplate of the master telephone socket? This should rule out any issues with internal wiring.

Also, I can see that FTTP (Fibre To The Premises or Full Fibre) is available in your area, so if you'd want superfaster speeds, I'd upgrade although we aren't yet offering an FTTP product, but we will waive any termination fees if you're in a minimum term contract, by moving to BT or EE for the service. We'd just ask you call us on 0800 013 2632 to arrange. 

Let me know how it goes. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
nigelbrand05
Hooked

Hi @Gandalf 

Thanks for your swift response.  The router was turned off for 30 mins this morning.  Checks done just now show that this seems to have done the trick.  Speed checks using the BT wholesale speed tester and the router info show 

UPLOAD Noise 6.1dB      Speed 8.82 Mbps

DOWNLOAD Noise 6.2dB  Speed 35.91 Mbps

These are very similar to those which we were having previously and were over a wireless connection and in the master socket.. There is no other internal wiring after Open Reach replaced the master socket a couple of years ago.. I will monitor over the next few days / weeks.  Your help was so much better than my previous ISP.  Thought FTTP was available as we have seen OR working all over the town.  Not something we are considering at this stage.

Many thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @nigelbrand05

Awesome! I'm glad to see your upload speed has improved now, and cheers for the feedback.

No problem, let me know if you have further issues or there's anything else you'd need help with. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet