cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help ... I dont understand all these numbers!!!

maggie246

Help ... I dont understand all these numbers!!!

Hi I have Unlimited Fibre, when using my iPhone on Wi-Fi, especially on Facebook, it goes really slow, I am sitting in the same room as the box which is plugged in the right socket.

I have just checked my speeds by attaching the Ethernet cable directly to the laptop ... these are the results ... but I really don't have a Scooby what they mean ... can someone please explain (gently)

thanks

download 37.52

upload 1.89

latency 9

jitter 3

ping 7

I have run the test through about 4 different speed testers (as recommended on here) and all say about the same ...

thanks Smiley

Maggie

4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Help ... I dont understand all these numbers!!!

Those results show that your line is at the full speed for your product so everything is fine there

So your problem is presumably the wireless signal

maggie246

Thank you for your instant, easy to understand answer Smiley

tested phone ... it says download 39.42 upload 2.14 and ping 10 ?Huh

so why does the little wheel spin at the top and pictures etc. not load ?? any ideas?Huh

thanks Smiley

bobminors
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

One thing to check is that your PlusNet firewall is turned on. If it isn't on Maximum, you will be getting all kinds of rubbish coming down the line, wasting its capacity and getting in the way of the things you really want it to do. (The internet is full of rubbish Cry ) If you do need to change it, you will need to disconnect your router from the phone line and reconnect it, to get the change to take effect.

If it's already on maximum, then disregard all this, because it's not the right answer.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The Plusnet Broadband Firewall, on the High setting, may stop some things working, most easily noticeable might be things such as the router not being able to automatically set its clock. The Low setting is fine for most users (and Off is unlikely to cause any problems anyway).