cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - Fibre router won't connect Squeezeboxes to server

weystoner

Help - Fibre router won't connect Squeezeboxes to server

I have just changed to Plusnet Fibre, which came with a Technicolor TG582N router. I have been using a Squeezebox Touch and SB3 music player without problems with the previous ADSL connection via a Netgear router and could access both internet radio and Logitech Media Server program, which is located on my server and handles my stored music and other things like iPlayer. With the fibre router I am able to access internet radio directly through the router, but the players can't find the server. Both players are wired through Devolo homeplugs; I have plugged the Touch directly into the router, but no change. I have also tried connecting by wi fi: again, no change.  Normal internet access and email are working fine, both on the server and on an IPad.

This is a step too far for Plusnet support - they thought it might be a port forwarding problem, but were no further help. I've tried going through the procedure for port forwarding on this router but it's asking me for port ranges and protocols, which are way above my level of incompetence. Can anyone please shed some light?
Many thanks,
Dave
3 REPLIES 3
weystoner

Re: Help - Fibre router won't connect Squeezeboxes to server

Problem solved: McAfee firewall on the server was blocking the Squeezeboxes - my thanks to d6jg on the squeezebox forum for helping with this.  I've disabled the McAfee firewall and enabled the Windows firewall and everything is communicating.
Dave
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi weystoner,
Glad to hear you got this sorted and cheers for taking the time to reply back about the solution as that may well serve to help someone else in the future.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
weystoner

No problem - it wasn't a run-of-the-mill issue, so it's no wonder that it had the Plusnet Support Team flumoxed. As you say, my post may trigger a solution for others.
On another topic, I note on this forum that a number of Plusnet Fibre customers are dissatisfied with connection speeds.  Without wishing to belittle their problems in any way, this hasn't been my experience.  My theoretical connection speed has jumped from around 4Mb to 38Mb; in practice, I've not seen the massive increase in download speeds that the big jump implies.  Google images resolve more quickly and page loading is a little faster, but my expectations were never great, given that connection speed is only one of the influences on real-world access speed.  What has changed, and what I was hoping for from fibre, is that I no longer have drop-outs and buffer underruns on music streaming.
So, all in all, I'm satisfied.  Maybe if the promotion of fibre was toned down or qualified with a few caveats you wouldn't get so many complaints.  I know you state 'up to' a particular download speed, but that's a bit disingenuous: your marketing people know darn well that most customers will only see the speed stated and think they will get a ten-fold increase in performance.
Just a thought.
Dave