cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Connected with another users account!

BusterRaid
Dabbler

Help! Connected with another users account!

I rarely use the Plusnet Hub One but i thought i would plug it in and leave it to update its firmware.

I plugged it in, reset the device and entered MY details and connected ok.

The router reports:

Broadband username:    [Removed]@plusdsl.net

Which is super. But I'm not [Removed]@plusdsl.net and my user name is nothing like [Removed]@plusdsl.net.

I rebooted and rechecked and it's still the same.

Frankly, I'm freaked out - is this just something the router does - a "display" name or something? Shocked

To be clear-I am connected via this device and can browse the internet.

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.217.1.1

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) obfuscated account name, it's still visible to staff.

14 REPLIES 14
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Help! Connected with another users account!

@BusterRaid was this Hub One supplied to you directly from PlusNet or is it one that you have bought from another source?

It sounds like the router is associated with a different account for which we will need a PN staffer to check. In the mean time you can set it to your account manually by disconnecting using the Disconnect button. It should then allow you to input your own username and password. You can then click connect to reconnect and the username should now be correct

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BusterRaid
Dabbler

This was supplied by Plusnet - looks new - plastic protectors in place, boxed etc.

To my knowledge it has never been borrowed by anyone - my wife would ask if she was lending it out.

When factory reset the connection username was something else/default - like plusnet@dsl.com or something.

Unless i'm going nuts i HAD to enter my user name and password to get the connection.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Sorry, your post crossed with my edit. Can you try as I suggested above to input your correct username.

the default would normally be setup@plusdsl.net after a factory reset

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BusterRaid
Dabbler

Firstly, i changed the password-kept the [Removed]@plusdsl.net user.

The device lost connection.

I then replaced the user name and password with mine and the device reconnected.

This leads me to the following:

DESPITE multiple factory resets and DESPITE entering my DSL user name and password multiple times, THE DEVICE CONNECTED WITH ANOTHER USERS ACCOUNT WITHOUT ME ENTERING ANY LOGIN DETAILS.

I am staggered. Either credentials are NEVER purged from the device or some remote Fu is pushing credentials to the device.

Unbelievable,

I'm now going to logout/login of the device and check the creds.

I'll then factory reset the device, enter my creds and reboot the device and see what comes up.

Will report back.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Personal information removed but staff can still see it).

BusterRaid
Dabbler

Shocked and Shocked

Hard reset (prod in the reset hole, etc)

.... and the router connects to the internet without me entering any creds.

Connected as:

Broadband username:    <notmyusername-removed by BusterRaid>

My ghast has rarely been so flabbered.

Plusnet-how the chuff is this happening?!

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

When you do a router reset, the router asks Plusnet's TR069 server for login credentials.

The TR069 entries for that router need amending.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Routers are associated with an account by serial number. When they are factory reset, a deafult useranem is used (setup@plusdsl.net), the router makes an initial connection with that username and is then automatically configured (using tr069) with the assocaited account username.

I would appear that your router is associated with another account and not yours.

As I said above this needs looking into by a PN staff member.

I'm going to escalate this thread to try and get someone to look at it

BusterRaid
Dabbler

OK Thanks.

This is not a new device or connection - we moved over two years ago and i dont recall the device auto connecting when it first arrived - may be it did but i think i would have noticed that it was not using our creds as I tinkered with the device quite a lot in the early days before migrating to Draytek.

I'd ask Plusnet to review and let me know the history of this device and to check they are not misidentifying devices.

EDIT: As above, this device arrived in sealed box with all the protective plastic covers on - the tear-off one that covers the lower lights is still, to this day, in place: That is, I'd expect the serial number to be virgin and not reused.

If it's a manual process to link serial number to account then i can see how fat fingers can happen but that's a bit poor, tbh.

If it's an automagical system, then there is a worrisome problem as personal identifying info is going astray.

I appreciate the help very much but I'm currently plowing through GDPR documentation, so a bit sensitive to such info "magically" appearing on a router.

EDIT: EDIT.

Why I'm so wound up about this is that someone could be currently browsing for The Anarchist Cookbook using MY internet connection account or God knows what else. This would be associated to ME. Like wise my current browsing is linked to <yourusernamehere> so if their browsing habits fall under the aegis of an organization, I am possibly going to become a person of interest because WHAT I AM POSTING NOW IS LINKED TO THEIR ACCOUNT.

I honestly expected all the damn lights and sirens to start going off at plusnet.

I'M BROWSING ON SOMEONE ELSE'S ACCOUNT WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

As I said above, for the time being I suggest you disconnect and configure with your correct account details whilst we wait for a staff member to investigate. Once that's done it shouldn't revert to the wrong account unless it's factory reset again.

BusterRaid
Dabbler

I will reset the creds.

The device will be connected for a short time thereafter.

It will be being swapped out for another device for most of the rest of the day - i will plug it back in about 10pm tonight and leave it overnight.

I would appreciate a call from Plusnet to explain how this is happening/happened.

BusterRaid
Dabbler

The device was left connected overnight.

On hard reset this morning, the device does not pick up the incorrect details.

And the TR069 log now shows:

CWMP: Server URL: https://ceased.tr69.p; Connecting as user: ACS username
07:19:59, 20 Dec. ( 177.830000) CWMP: session closed due to error: Could not resolve host
07:19:59, 20 Dec. ( 177.780000) CWMP: Server URL: https://ceased.tr69.p; Connecting as user: ACS username
07:19:59, 20 Dec. ( 177.770000) CWMP: Session start now. Event code(s): '6 CONNECTION REQUEST,0 BOOTSTRAP,4 VALUE CHANGE'
07:19:29, 20 Dec. ( 147.550000) CWMP: session closed due to error: Could not resolve host
07:19:29, 20 Dec. ( 147.500000) CWMP: Server URL: https://ceased.tr69.p; Connecting as user: ACS username
07:19:29, 20 Dec. ( 147.500000) CWMP: Session start now. Event code(s): '6 CONNECTION REQUEST,0 BOOTSTRAP,4 VALUE CHANGE'

... which I think means its no longer eligable for firmware updates, which is precisly why i connected it to the internet.

Current:  Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.217.1.1 | Last updated Unknown 

I think the current firmware is >217

I've not heard from Plusnet on how i was able to browse the internet using someone elses account. Is this one for the ICO?

Can someone from plusnet put the router back on the "update list" please?

Edit, The device will be swapped out until later this evening.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

On hard reset this morning, the device does not pick up the incorrect details.

That's good news.

I've not heard from Plusnet on how i was able to browse the internet using someone elses account.

Yes, I'm a little disappointed that no-one from PN posted on this thread. From responses on the escalated thread in the Superuser forums, I was aware that it was being looked at urgently, and from the above it does look like some action has been taken. I guess they're still trying to understand the underlying cause of how it happened in the first place.

NB I've seen those CWMP errors on other threads so I'm not sure it's particular to your router.

BusterRaid
Dabbler

Morning and thanks MisterW.

Re the firmware push: I think that if the TR069 response include something like "https://ceased.tr69", (with "ceased" being the key bit), then it indicates that the router is not "on the list" for updates.

Somewhat ironically, I think that "list" is based on serial number, which, from what i understand from previous posts, is the predicate on which the username and password are pushed to the router after boot.

So yesterday, I think the TR069 log showed no references to "ceased" (when the serial number was incorrectly assigned) but today, after the correction, the serial number is either on a list of devices that are not eligable for updates or the serial number has been removed from the "allowed list".

But I'm only going on what i've read over the last day or so!  Smiley

EDIT So I'm holding fire on saying this is fixed as I've not heard from PN and the original issue was firmware. Will come back to it, though.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You may well be right about the 'ceased'. URL, I don't know too much about the TR069 details other than  it is the serial number that is used to associate a router with an account and therefore set the username/password credentials automatically.

Hopefully we'll get a formal PN response of some form on this thread today...