cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello? How to contact anybody from Plusnet!

FIXED
Cornishgirl
Dabbler

Re: Hello? How to contact anybody from Plusnet!

Thank you for your contact 😊 the landline is now up and running, it’s just the router playing up. The BT engineer advised that face plate needs replacing but he was not allowed to enter. I’ve had some great advice on this forum. Today I’ll order a new faceplate and get my tool kit out when it arrives!
Thank you for message.
Stay safe
x
Cornishgirl
Dabbler

Thank you for your advice, you are correct - that was how the cables were arranged. I’ve given your advice a go - I’ll keep you posted!
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I'm confused now.

For clarity, can you post a photo of the master socket and cables?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Cornishgirl  Before you order a new faceplate I would strongly suggest trying the cables in the correct sockets first, then if that does not work remove the faceplate and connect the micro filter to the test socket with just the DSL line connected to the router as suggested by @198kHz  If this works it would confirm that the faceplate is the problem. It is better to have evidence that a component is broken before spending money on a replacement, and I am not impressed with the engineer saying you should use microfilter in a SSFP and saying it was faulty with no evidence.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yup if it wasn't for what is going on now then I believe you'd have a visit and BT Openreach who would replace the faceplate themselves. Obviously not now at the moment.

It has happened to me once where I had noise on the line, did an on-line check which called an engineer out. Interesting, he put some kind of probe into the master socket, went outside to the drop cable outside and fixed whatever the problem was in about 30 minutes.

Thanks to this forum and the people on here, I know what 17070 is. Wouldn't know otherwise, and first time I did an option 2 quiet line test. Though the noise was bad enough you could hear it over the dial tone.

Still, very good and professional. He decided to change the faceplate anyway. No cost to me, (well actually there was but it was optional). As he was so good I dropped him a £20 note and said "Get yourself a drink from me on that!". I know I didn't have to, but as he was so pleasant and good.

Sorry @Cornishgirl a bit back on topic being the OP. Yes as @RealAleMadrid elimate any other form of wiring (if you haven't already done so - sounds like you have). I also had noise on my line once (another time around) which turned out to be a dodgy Sky extension cable. Though it does take a bit of messing around and trial and error to work it out.

Cornishgirl
Dabbler

Thank you so very much for your help here! I seem to have resolved the issue thanks to a combination of all the fabulous advice I’ve been offered here. You were absolutely right - no filter needed, (as Plusnet website states) but I was encouraged to use one by BT engineer who came the other day. To be fair he had already spent three hours repairing actual telephone line and had probably lost the will to live and wasn’t able to enter the house to see what socket I had. Also, as ‘Hero’ suggested I tried a new DSL cable. So far, my blue light has been on for over an hour (result!) so I can assume that all is well.
Many many thanks again
xx
Cornishgirl
Dabbler

Hello Hero! I’m so very pleased to report I’m back online thanks to a combination of your advice and other excellent folk on here.
I removed the filter and acquired a new DSL cable. To be fair the BT man had been here for over three hours the other day fixing a very old telephone cable. He advised to use the filter but not being able to enter the house was not able to see that I didn’t need one. A new DSL cable may have added extra juice too.
I’ve had a continuous blue GO! light now for over an hour so I hoping that all is well.
Time for wine.
I cannot thank you enough for helping out here, I have a very small business to run and you have saved the day!
Very best wishes,
Julia
x
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

@Cornishgirl Very glad you got it sorted.☝️

John
198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@Cornishgirl 

Hi Julia,

Thanks for reporting back with the excellent news. So pleased to hear that you're back online.

A big thank you should also go to @RealAleMadrid , as he spotted what I should have noticed - that you were putting a filter into an already filtered port. Rather remiss of the BTOR guy that he seems to have assumed that you didn't have a filtered faceplate. Or maybe he wasn't very au fait with broadband and though two filters are better than one.

Any road up, I think all involved have learned something over the last few days!

Hope all goes well with the business, and that the light stays blue.

Incidentally, for future reference, 'Hero' is a forum rank, and my forum name is 198kHz. Similarly your name is Cornishgirl and your rank is 'Dabbler'. Not very complimentary really is it? As you make more posts and receive likes/thanks via the 'thumbs up' icon, the rank changes to more complimentary things.

Time for a beer!  😊

Best wishes, and be safe,

Martin

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
Cornishgirl
Dabbler

Yes I've learnt a lot here too thanks to the forum team here. I can't thank you enough for the advice and support I've received in getting me back online in these difficult times.

Working from a bigger screen I can see the conversation threads clearly and thank you for explaining the name tags Martin! 

I've placed this message here rather than a new thread to avoid any confusion.

I hope this message gets through to the people who were able to help, I am so very grateful. 

I'm raising a glass of wine to @Alex  and @jab1  and an extra special hip hip hooray and another glass of wine to @198kHz and @RealAleMadrid for 'hitting the nail on the head'.

Best wishes, stay safe 

julia

x

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

@Cornishgirl Glad to help where I can, Julia, and it's rewarding when we succeed. It is especially rewarding, to me at least, when someone reports a problem, and actually describes the steps they have taken and follows suggestions, even though I didn't solve your problem.

At least you know where to come next time. 😁

John
Alex
Community Veteran

@jab1 I understand exactly what you mean and glad @Cornishgirl we were able to help.
Especially in tough times, like we have at the moment.

Keep posting here, and during my time it has helped having learnt things which have been useful when I have suffered from problems. Gives me a bit of an idea of what to do. It is also good to pass that on which may be useful to someone else.

Thanks to PlusNet for their support too.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Cornishgirl  Pleased that I helped sort your problem. I certainly agree with @jab1, that it is so much better when there is a good description of the problem and what has been tried to fix it. I have no time for posters who rant that their broadband has failed , PlusNet are rubbish and they are going to cancel and go to different ISP, they are beyond help.

Anyway I had a beer or two last night to join in the celebrations. Hope your broadband keeps working in these difficult times.

Stay safe.😊

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

I have no time for posters who rant that their broadband has failed , PlusNet are rubbish and they are going to cancel and go to different ISP, they are beyond help.

Couldn't agree more.  Cheers! 🍺

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
Alex
Community Veteran

I'll join you all for later a beer or three - I won't be able to drink until later. When I can I certainly will.
Roll on later today! 🍺