cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello? How to contact anybody from Plusnet!

FIXED
Cornishgirl
Dabbler

Re: Hello? How to contact anybody from Plusnet!

Yep it was deffo a line fault, and thankfully this has now been repaired. It’s just the box that’s not working! Tried various hacks as instructed by BT man who had to shout instructions from outside the house! Like some weird game show or Krypton Factor ha ha! Anyways, I didn’t win the prize. Box still flashing. He advised the new router route so to speak. Thanks for your thoughts though x
Cornishgirl
Dabbler

Hello again, thanks for being here! I’ve got an older style socket face which BT man indicated could be the problem. Thank flip land line is working though, spanking new telephone cable outside. Result! Thanks to you and the links you sent.
The socket has two entrances one above the other; BT suggested that micro filter is used ( even though on PN website it states filter should not be used on a SSFP plate but there we are. So the only cable fixed into plate itself is the filter socket with DSL/phone connected to filter. I’m going to try as you and others have suggested and switch it all off to give a breather for an hour. And have a glass of wine. We’ll see what happens when I turn it on again. Ultimately I think it’s the box or the socket that needs replacing. The telephone line was just an added frustration! Great timing eh? X
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Keep us posted.😉

John
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

As an ex-BT engineer, I'm not at all convinced that "the box" is the problem.

Maybe the faceplate, or the DSL cable, or the router.

What I'd try is removing the faceplate, and inserting a microfilter into the engineering test socket, with the router only connected.

If no joy, do you have a friendly neighbour from whom you could borrow a dsl cable and microfilter to test with?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Cornishgirl
Dabbler

Good shout. I haven’t turned it back on yet, I’m giving it a good rest. If I’ve still got a flashing router (ha!) I’ll give these thoughts a go. My instinct is that it’s the socket alas. I noticed the plate was loose when I first set up what was then a new router when I moved here in August last year. This suggests suggests a previous issue perhaps.
I’ll keep you posted if that’s okay - don’t want to be a nuisance but there’s no other way of getting helpful info other than visiting this forum for now x
198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@Cornishgirl wrote:
I’ll keep you posted if that’s okay - don’t want to be a nuisance but there’s no other way of getting helpful info other than visiting this forum for now x

No worries - it's very much OK. There are quite a few of the established regulars trying to help where we can.

Good luck... 🤞

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
Cornishgirl
Dabbler

Hello it’s me again!
A local electrician has kindly offered to replace the socket face plate and see if that remedies the issue of non connection. I currently have a BT Openreach MK 2 faceplate, which has two sockets, one above the other, the larger of the two at the bottom. What would you recommend I buy as a replacement?
Many thanks as always for your thoughts x
198kHz
Seasoned Hero

Hello you again!  😃

VDSL Mk3 faceplate is what you need. I've got a spare one if you Private Message the address.

Did you manage to borrow a DSL lead and microfilter to eliminate those as the problem? I can send those as well.

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hi @Cornishgirl 

Glass of wine is a good idea, at this time mine would be a can of larger 😋

Seriously though, it could be a line fault or your router may have died. Do you have any noise on the line? Do you have spare hardware you can test?

At this time PlusNet might be a bit short of staff, but maybe someone can post a graph and see if you're in sync.

Of course not an ideal time to have a fault, there never is. Especially when people have to work from home now.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

ps Is it plain ADSL or FTTC (fibre)?

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Fix

@Cornishgirl  Have just read through this thread and the way you describe the connection to the filtered faceplate sounds wrong. You are quite correct that if you have a filtered faceplate a micro filter must not be used, not sure why BT said it should.

In your message #17 you state  " So the only cable fixed into plate itself is the filter socket with DSL/phone connected to filter."

Correct me if I am wrong but to me this sounds like the micro filter is connected into the larger socket (as it is a phone type connector and doesn't fit the DSL socket) and the DSL lead to the router is  plugged into the micro filter. This will not work, there is no Broadband signal on the faceplate phone socket it has already been removed by the filter in the faceplate.

On the faceplate the larger socket should only have the phone connected,  the smaller socket is the broadband connection to the PlusNet router using the DSL lead. Have you tried connecting this way?  You may find that it works.😀

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Nice spot, @RealAleMadrid - I'd totally missed that.Embarrassed

John
198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

On the faceplate the larger socket should only have the phone connected,  the smaller socket is the broadband connection to the PlusNet router using the DSL lead. Have you tried connecting this way?  You may find that it works.😀

I think you've hit nail on head!

I suggested in Message #14 to check all connections - I should have said to make sure they were as original! 🙄

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I think there is total panic and confusion when Broadband fails, so connections are changed randomly and may not go back where they should.😁

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@Cornishgirl Did you try this suggestion from Message #19?

"What I'd try is removing the faceplate, and inserting a microfilter into the engineering test socket, with the router only connected."

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)