cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello? How to contact anybody from Plusnet!

FIXED
Cornishgirl
Dabbler

Hello? How to contact anybody from Plusnet!

This is my first post here, apologies if I ramble...
My router stopped working 3 days ago (Sunday 29th March 2020) with flashing red everything and my telephone indicates ‘check line’. I’ve done all the appropriate things, unplugging, resetting, and have tried to reboot the box by using 192.168.1.254 as suggested on Plusnet Website but am met with a blank page. I’m not very technical but I try my best! The problem is with the line I’m sure - as telephone indicates. I cannot get through to anyone on Plusnet helplines, there just seems to be no one around at all. I appreciate we are in an adverse situation but there is no other contact point. Any suggestions anyone? It’s not an ideal time to be out of contact with family and my old mobile is struggling with constant use.
Thanks for any thoughts x
44 REPLIES 44
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Hello? How to contact anybody from Plusnet!

Welcome to the forums, @Cornishgirl . From what you say above, it does seem to be a line fault. One thing you don't say you have done is plug a (preferably corded) phone into the test socket of your main phone box. I don't think this will sort it, but it will confirm a definite line fault.

John
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from General Chat to Fibre Broadband.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Cornishgirl
Dabbler

Hello John, thank you for a speedy reply! Good to know there is someone out there. I’ve tried a corded phone and also unscrewing the socket case and trying the test socket but the results are the same. Telephone still indicates ‘check line’ and router connects in 20 seconds then cuts to orange flash and red ‘b’ logo. However, the odd thing is, if I ring my landline from my mobile, there is still a ring tone although the handset itself doesn’t ring. Maybe the socket is at fault?
jab1
Legend

@Cornishgirl I'm not PN staff - or a phone expert - but I still suspect a line fault. Sockets can go faulty, but I've never had one go on me - yet - in the 30 + years I've been at this house.

Unfortunately in your position, you can't run a line test yourself, but hopefully someone from PN will pick this up, but that, and the repair, may take a while in the current conditions.

John
Cornishgirl
Dabbler

Yes indeed. Ah well, thanks again for your thoughts. It’s worrying how the helpline recorded message reads that they are prioritising vulnerable customers first understandably, thankfully I’m not, but if you were how could you make contact? Guess I’ll have to wait and keep trying. Thanks for your time - stay safe x
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Cornishgirl wrote:
However, the odd thing is, if I ring my landline from my mobile, there is still a ring tone although the handset itself doesn’t ring.

That's what would be expected if, as seems most probable, there is a disconnection on your line.

The exchange equipment sends ring tone to the caller when ringing current is being sent to your phone, regardless of whether your phone actually receives it - which presently it obviously doesn't.

You've done the right thing in using the test socket, which proves the fault outwith your property, so the next step would be to try the automatic phone line tester here -

https://www.plus.net/my-account/tools/phone-troubleshooter/

It's a longstanding little quirk of the system that it will come back with an "oops, something went wrong" message. Fear not, if it finds a fault it should automatically create a ticket in Plusnet's system and pass the fault to Openreach.

Assuming it does, you can log into your account and find the ticket here -

https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=search

Meanwhile, a passing Plusnet staffer may pass this way, though obviously they're under pressure, and having to give priority to vulnerable customers, as are Openreach.

Good luck!  🙂

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Cornishgirl
Dabbler

Thank you so much for your advice, I’ll give it go right away and keep you posted!
Cornishgirl
Dabbler

Thank you Hero! I’ve done as you advised and a ‘ticket’ has now been sent to PN.
Fingers crossed some communication will happen in next few days x
198kHz
Seasoned Hero

Great news.  😃   🤞

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
Cornishgirl
Dabbler

A quick update - thanks to the links you sent me re. line testing, a ‘ticket’ was created and amazingly BT Openreach arrived this morning! Three hours later, my landline has been restored (hooray!) but sadly my router is still flashing. I’ve added another message to the ‘ticket’ requesting a new box but wondered if you know of another magic link I could use to request one?
Thanks once again for your time x
jab1
Legend

@Cornishgirl Before going down the 'new router' road, try turning the router off for a few minutes - after disconnecting it -from the router interface - and turning it back on.May work, or may not, but it's worth a try.

John
Tridens
Dabbler

Hi seams like line fault you were lucky you got BT so fast it could be your router have you got spare one to try otherwise hard to get new one now unles plusnet sed you a new one ?

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

It's possible that the router has coincidentally decided to fail, but unlikely I'd have thought.

Connections and cables have been moved around while testing, so something may have been overlooked, or a cable with an incipient fault may have totally failed.

I would switch the router off for half an hour, and while it's off, check that every connection is in the right place.

Do you have a filtered faceplate, or a rat's tail microfilter(s).

🤞

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
Cornishgirl
Dabbler

Thanks for your thoughts, I’ve given this a try when BT were here to no avail, but will give it a go again later x