cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Held to ransom by Plusnet! Appalling!

FIXED
pir8ped
Grafter

Re: Held to ransom by Plusnet! Appalling!

Hi,

Nine neighbours got back to me after doing the BT speed tests.

There results are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14T0q0YDGAnojAbKaXdHIbLwJ0ipr3Epo6W1irrUF5mU/edit?usp=sharing

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Go to the Troubleshooting tab while in the router settings and post up a copy of the stats including the data rate and maximum attainable data rate. Make sure you remove private information like your username though. 

pir8ped
Grafter

Mustrum,

We didn't have an Openreach engineer here. One came and sorted out some wiring down a manhole cover in the street. But I never saw him.

No-one fitted a master socket and modem. We're using the original old phone socket, and a filter that came with the router.

I rang 17070, option 2. There was a very slight white noise. But I don't know what's normal. No crackling perhaps is good?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@pir8ped wrote:

Hi,

Nine neighbours got back to me after doing the BT speed tests.

There results are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14T0q0YDGAnojAbKaXdHIbLwJ0ipr3Epo6W1irrUF5mU/edit?usp=sharing

Interesting. Your cab must be some distance away, as all those results are on the 'low' side.

John
pir8ped
Grafter

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number: +081441+NQ04825569
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 13:06:58
6. Data rate: 9434 / 38171
7. Maximum data rate: 9434 / 52594
8. Noise margin: 6.1 / 8.5
9. Line attenuation: 34.4 / 21.3
10. Signal attenuation: 34.1 / 19.4
11. Data sent/received: 21.1 GB / 86.3 GB
12. Broadband username: *****************
13. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: PLUSNET-HQSC
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
17. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: PLUSNET-HQSC
18. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
19. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
20. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
21. Firewall: Default
22. MAC Address: 10:d7:b0:1a:48:f6
23. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B
24. Software variant: AA
25. Boot loader: 1.0.0

That data rate of 38171, never seen anything like that. Used to get 26Mb/s a few days about, now down to 17 or so

Thrall
Seasoned Pro

@pir8ped Log into your account and go to the Broadband tab next, what does the ‘current line speed’ say? I’m wondering whether this is set too low. 

Also while you’re in your account, click here https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=search The fault ticket may still be open you can reply to.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

@pir8ped, are the latest set of data from your router whilst you've been connected to the test socket?  From a quick scan through this thread I can't see that you gave these stats previously when not connected to the master socket to compare with.

If it is whilst in the test socket and previously you were syncing a lot lower when in the master socket, then that would point towards an issue with either your internal wiring or the faceplate.  It can take a little while for the cabinet to pick up on the increase in speed and set the IP Profile to an appropriate level (and same with the Plusnet profile if you're on a static IP address) and it does sometimes need a prod, which would account for the continued low speedtest results.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pir8ped
Grafter

• Product: Unlimited Fibre
    • Estimated Download Range: 31 - 40Mbps
    • Estimated Upload Range: 6 - 8Mbps
    • Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 30.9Mbps
    • Current Line Speed (Download): 36.8Mbps

The fault ticket was closed:

During the investigation of your reported fault we asked you to complete some steps to help us diagnose the problem. You have reported that you are unable to do so.

As such, we're unable to continue the investigation so have had to close the query.

This also means you will not have the right to leave your contract without paying any cancellation fees at the end of the 30 day period from the date you raised the fault, or the date we have set out in previous emails.

If you are still concerned about your speeds, please use our online speed tester at: https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ (more info) and we have some advice on the things which can affect broadband speeds on our help pages.

Kind regards,

Which is why I originally posted this thread on the customer service forum. Sure, I'm not getting good speed, and something needs fixing, but that response was pretty poor. You may have noticed I have done all the tests and provided all the info that other posters here have suggested.

John

pir8ped
Grafter

The data I have just provided is while I was connected to the test socket.

If I am understanding you correctly, you are suggesting that my IP profile may have been set while I was not using the test socket, and that the wiring to a couple of phones I have connected to the socket might have been causing a problem. And that if I leave the router connected to the test socket, the system should notice that it is now capable of handling more speed and adjust the IP profile.

Is that right?

I can try that - I don't use the land line phones any more anyway. They were just connected, and I didn't think about them.

Thrall
Seasoned Pro

@pir8ped Try the above link anyway. Let us know

pir8ped
Grafter

Thrall,

I did use that link, and there are no open tickets. I came across the one I started about the speed problems, and the response, which I just posted. The ticket was closed with that response.

John

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Thanks for your post @pir8ped 

I'm sorry for the issues with your speed. From what I can see your sync speed changed from 17mbps to 38mbps last night I suspect following the troubleshooting steps you've carried out. However as you have a static IP address and your connection hasn't dropped since the profile updated at 2021-03-25 21:34:24 your download speed's limited still.

Can you reboot your router and then retest your speed? Also I've tested your line and the tests are showing a high resistance fault along with what's known as a bridge tap so this will need an engineer to investigate further. 

With regards to the ticket I can confirm this is closed, but it was closed via your account online on "Wednesday 24/03/21 17:34, Question closed by customer on website." which triggered the automated email you've received about the closed fault investigation. You'll be able to view the ticket as a closed ticket Here.

If you can raise a new fault at faults.plus.net we'll make sure that's picked back up as soon as we can.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pir8ped
Grafter

Great! Rebooted, and now have speeds of 33Mb/s.

I only wish I knew what fixed it! I daren't touch it right now - so much better! But later, I'll reconnect the router to the master socket rather than the test socket and see if that makes the difference.

I'll open a ticket about the line fault you mention.

Thanks very much everyone for all the help and suggestions!

John

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

only wish I knew what fixed it! 

Almost certainly connecting directly to the test socket is what caused the speed increase.

Connecting to the test socket disconnects all the internal extension wiring. Its likely that your internal wiring is causing interference which is reducing the speed. The internal wiring is your responsibility and if an engineer attend and finds that is the cause of any fault then you will be charged. There's a useful guide here https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm to help check any internal wiring.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pir8ped
Grafter

Thanks for that informative link to details about sockets. Possibly I have ring wires still connected. I'll look into that later today when I get time.

Gandalf mentioned that there is still a fault on the line and that an engineer would need to fix that (for the time being, I have left the router connected to the test socket, so there can be no issues with internal wring). Am I right in thinking he was referring to a fault outside the house, and that the engineer would be a Plusnet or Openreach engineer, and there'd be no charge for this.