cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having fibre installed 22/06 - potentially silly question

Heisenw00d

Having fibre installed 22/06 - potentially silly question

Hi,
As the title says, I'm finally having fibre installed on the 22nd of June. My question is, I bought a NetGear D6400 router/modem last Thursday (fibre wasn't available then, the status changed on Saturday), thinking it'd be a good ADSL router for now and it'd also be a good long term option for when fibre became available.
Reading around, I've spotted a review for the D6400 and it says "You also get the added bonus of this device being VDSL2 ready which means you can use it for your ISP's Fibre Broadband service without BT sticking a modem in your property or using the ISP's router."
An engineer is coming out on the 22nd to change the Openreach face plate; my potentially silly question is should I have the Openreach modem installed anyhow, just in case, or should I tell the engineer not to bother?
Cheers.
10 REPLIES 10
Haffoc
Grafter

Re: Having fibre installed 22/06 - potentially silly question

I'd take the BT modem, as a back up.
The D6400 is both an ADSL/VDSL modem/router - I use one myself on fttc to replace the BT modem/plusnet router.
dick:quote
Heisenw00d

Cheers for the quick and helpful reply, Haffoc.
Yeah, I should have expanded on my post a little to say that it's both ADSL and VDSL, it's one of the reasons why it was such an attractive option - although I didn't expect fibre to be available two days after it was delivered!
I've only been using it a couple of days, but how are you finding it? Any issues? I got it on a lightning deal through Amazon, but it was still a bit on the expensive side. Hoping it's worth it. I'm quite a distance from the exchange, so an Asus router was out of the question. Hoping the newer Broadcom chip in the NetGear does the trick.
Do you think I will be ok having the NetGear on show, then? I was thinking they might not install it if they see it...?
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Hi Heisenw00d
Welcome to the forums.
I would just like to agree and say make sure that the engineer installs the Openreach modem as it maybe useful to fix any future problems.  Plus nice to have a spare modem about too.
As for the engineer spotting your Netgear VDSl device, I wouldn't worry as 1) you are the customer and therefore always right and 2) I doubt she/he will have seen that model anyway. In my experience of the people who Openreach send out, they only really know about their products and have very little idea about the consumer devices.
Finally you are paying for the Openreach modem to be installed as part of your contract with Plusnet so it is up to you if you want it.
Good luck with the install and I hope it all goes to plan.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I don't think the engineer will really mind what router you've got, they are there to install the modem and ensure that connects up, anything after that point is your responsibility.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Haffoc
Grafter

I'm finding it pretty good so far, no issues yet. I've found no problems with Wi-fi range or speed. It performs easily as well as my Asus router did.
One reason I bought it was because of the Broadcom chip. I also don't like running two devices, when one could work.
BT issued me an ECI modem, which suffered from the G.INP issue as I'm connected to a Huawei cabinet. The Netgear added an extra 5-6Mbps to my sync, but the BT IP profile is capping my throughput to the speed I was getting with the ECI. (sync 75, max acheivable 77, BT IP profile 69)
So, no regrets in buying it.
Heisenw00d

Just want to thank georgelnx, Chris and Haffoc for the kind welcome and helpful responses. I really appreciate it. Cheers.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Let us know how you get on on the 22nd Smiley
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Heisenw00d

Hi everyone,
So today is the big day! The fella from Openreach has been and gone. I have just one quick question though. For the installation, the Plusnet router and Openreach modem have been connected. Everything's lit up barring the Broadband light, which he said might take up to twenty four hours, which is fine.
My question is, am I OK to disconnect it all and reconnect my Netgear router, which is an all in one device? Or shall I wait? I thought I'd rather be safe than sorry and double check first, I don't want to mess anything up...
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

The broadband light on our router won't flash as your on a Fibre connection rather then a standard one.
I can see the connection is active so you should be okay to set-up the Netgear.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Heisenw00d

Hi Matthew,
Ah, right. I did wonder about the broadband light having to be lit up, but because that's what the engineer said I didn't even question it. But that's great news that it's active. Many thanks for your help, much appreciated.