Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have to keep rebooting router to get speed back up

AJK
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Have to keep rebooting router to get speed back up

I'm using the Hub One router which has been fine for my needs but I keep noticing that the download speed plummets to a fraction of the usual speed, from 70ish Mbps down to 20ish Mbps. After rebooting the router, normal speeds return, until the next time it happens.

This is not a WiFi issue. I'm using 5GHz with a very clear channel. Tested with various devices, even next to the router.

Any help diagnosing the issue would be appreciated. Smiley

9 REPLIES 9
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Have to keep rebooting router to get speed back up

While I appreciate you've said you don't believe this is a WiFi issue, please can you confirm if you do experience the same problems on a wired connection when the problems become apparent on wireless?

If they do, please could you go through our troubleshooting guides Here and should the problems continue following this, report the issue over at https://faults.plus.net

Something I have noticed, which may be unrelated, is that there is often a rather large jump in upload in the run up to your connection dropping (Which I assume is you rebooting the router as you've said) is there anything on your network that you're aware of that would be utilizing a lot of your upload connection? Based on your estimates, I'm not sure this would actually be causing the problem, but it seemed worth mentioning just in case, as I'm aware of cases in the past where high utilization of upload has caused a drop in download speeds during the upload and rebooting the router could temporarily stop the upload (An example of this would be when Windows updates on Windows 10 were essentially going out on peer to peer while users seemed unaware this was happening)

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
AJK
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.

I don't currently have the means to check a wired connection without moving one of the desktop computers to the living room, but I did experience the same issues when I was previously using powerline ethernet and put it down to the wiring.

My current set up is Mac in the upstairs office which has a great 5GHz connection, virtually as fast as wired, and a PC, also on 5GHz, in the downstairs office which is behind garage walls, so I've had to work to get a good connection there. I separated the 2GHz and 5GHz frequencies and found channel 52 works a treat with nothing else nearby interfering with it. A few other devices like my printer are 2GHz.

In addition to the computers there's a couple of android tablets and a few phones so I check on those too, and there's a few Google Home speakers. Often when I notice the problem I have nothing else running, other than whichever device I'm on and I let it run a bit before giving up and rebooting the Hub One.

I can't see that anything I have that would be utilising a lot of the upload connection. I'm aware of that Windows 10 issue and my Windows 10 box is bang up to date, behaving itself.

I could dig out the powerline adapters and see if the same drop in speed happens at the same time.

I'll continue to investigate.

akashi
Grafter
Fixes: 1

@AJK

When I was using the Plusnet One Hub, I had the exact problem!

It was definitely a fault with the routers WiFi and at the end had to ditch it.

Now I use the BT OR modem with a ASUS AC87U router with zero issues with WiFi speeds.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No worries @AJK

While not anything like an ethernet connection, using powerline adapters should at least help figure out if the issue is related to the wireless connectivity or not. Keep us posted on this.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
AJK
Grafter

Thanks @akashi

You may be right and my memory may be incorrect on similar problems I had with wired connections.

I still have the BT OR modem that came with the initial fiber installation so I have considered doing what you've done if I can't get reliable WiFi with the Hub One.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

As @Gandalf said, please let us know how you get on @AJK

All the best for now, 

MoR

AJK
Grafter

OKay this morning, I booted the PC up and checked the speed as it seemed a little off and noticed that on Wifi the download speed had dropped to as low as 17Mbps and upload to 4Mpbs. Upload often isn't affected much. This is on a clear 5GHz channel 52 with no other signal showing in the area. I tried holding my normally very fast phone near the router and that got 24Mbps down, 22 up. The PC's powerline connection stayed consistantly around the 57Mbps down and 18 up.

Interestingly this time the Wifi sorted after a while itself out and I didn't have to reboot. What I don't understand is why my phone's speedtest results returned to normal after repeated testing but the PC did not, as though it got locked in. Luckily just disconnecting and reconnecting the PC's WiFi sorted that out.

So far, unreliable WiFi on the Hub One seems to be the culprit.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for the extra info.

Out of curiosity do you have the same issues when you connect to the 2.4ghz band?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
AJK
Grafter

I'll investigate that next time the issue occurs and report back.