cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have I messed up my newly installed Fibre?

parvolex

Have I messed up my newly installed Fibre?

I got 80mbps fibre install on Friday morning. I have run lots of speed tests over the past 48 hours and most of the time I'm only getting about 15mbps up and down. I have had the very odd test that has been far higher indeed one test I got 65mbps down... I have had lots of problems with the NAS drives I had connected to my router and have had the router on and off several times, have swapped it back and forth for another in a bid to get my NAS's working on network. However whilst the router has been disconnected/ reconnected frequently. I have only switched off the bt openreach modem a couple of times. I'm just hoping messing with routers has not messed up the line speed training? Has it? What can I do?
Thankyou.
10 REPLIES 10
deathtrap
Grafter

Re: Have I messed up my newly installed Fibre?

Rebooting the modem if only a few 2-3 times in any one day  you should be ok, best not to re boot it, but  power it off and wait 30 mins or so before powering on again  but if you are powering  the modem  on/off repeatedly  in quick succession will  certainly trigger DLM
Installed Friday  your line will be in wide open mode(running at the maximum speed the line can support) until tomorrow So if dlm is going to make changes  it may do this  Monday sometime, if not it will remain as it is  until it decides to make changes , DLM is always running there is no training period with FTTC
Rebooting the router will not affect DLM
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@parvolex
As a new FTTC customer, it is also worthwhile checking that your Plusnet line speed has been set correctly. It should be done within a few hours of the Openreach engineer signing off the installation but sometimes it isn't.
You can check it at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed, you will be prompted to login into the Plusnet Member Centre to see the values.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
parvolex

PlusNet line speed says 72mbps..... but running speedtests the fibre performance is all over place. Last night between 10pm and midnight I was getting 60mbps. At 9 am approx. I was getting 40mbps and now I'm getting 12mbps....!!
Any ideas whats wrong?? . I keep reading that Fibre is supposed to provide far less speed varience than the normal broadband !? 
parvolex

Sync at 72 mbps.... whats going on !
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Can you try stopping anything using your upload and test the speeds again? There was quite a decent chunk of upload usage between 11am and 12 today that may have impacted the speeds.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
parvolex

Ok, sorry I'd forgot I was uploading... anyway with that stopped the above is what I tested at.... Should I not be expecting double this ?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

We're still seeing high upload in fact over the last 10 hours you've uploaded almost as much as you've downloaded.
Can you double check there's nothing running in the background?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
parvolex

Ok so Ive done a msconfig and turned off all background tasks, made sure that I'm not uploading via p2p or anything link that. But I guess I cannot run speed tests to see if improved because that will see me uoloading. ?
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

The idea is to stop any interference with the speed test, which requires upload responses to measure the download speed. Shocked
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi Parvolex, I've run a line test and can't see any obvious issues. Can you try running this speed test http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and then running further diagnostics. If this is still showing low speeds, I'd recommend raising a fault at Http:faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet