cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have I done the right thing!?!

thepharcyde
Hooked

Have I done the right thing!?!

So I noticed my existing Sky Broadband had gone up from £27 a month to nearly £40 as I'm now out of my 'deal' and contract.

I phoned them up post running a price comparison on other ISP vendors and Plusnet were coming up the cheapest.

However now I'm reading the reviews, I'm wondering if the extra 5 pounds Sky could offer me whether I should just cancel Plusnet and stick with Sky?!?

Seems to be a lot of talk about throttling etc and given my first experience to call Plusnet I was welcomed with a half and hour queue wait might be the a sign of things to come?

Most of my internet use is for streaming i.e. Amazon prime and Youtube, what is it like at peak times will I still be able to stream in 4k?

Can I confirm if my 14 day distance selling comes into affect once I'm connected as this is still pending by all accounts, or when I signed up which can take more than 10 days???

10 REPLIES 10
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Have I done the right thing!?!

What speeds can you get? If its the fibre unlimited extra (i.e. the 80meg down 20 meg up) then that is fine, i watch lots on both netflix and Amazon in 4k (well only the grand tour in 4k!) never have issues with it buffering or dropping in speed.

The "throttling" is for people who buy the 40 meg product they get a 2mb upload, which works for some and not for others. Its not throttled, that is just the product that was bought and people didn't see the upload speed.

tbh i think going to ANY isp is better than giving money to $ky!! 🙂

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

There isn't any throttling of internet traffic.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will gladly stand corrected on this but I am positive I saw a Plusnet advert that made reference to traffic prioritisation (in the ads small print), so are these not one and the same thing?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I like mrSilver thought that PN,s 40/2 was BT 40/10 throttled down ?Huh
Or capped ?
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@rongtw BT Openreach products are 40/2, 40/10. 55/10 and 80/20, ISP then choose which product to use, only the old PN 40/20 was a capped 80/20.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@Anonymous

Traffic priorisation

As you can see from the link it's not throttling, QoS would be a better description.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That works for me @Browni.

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

And actually, I think Plusnet's Traffic Prioritisation is a really good thing. It prioritises time-sensitive traffic over less time-sensitive traffic. So for example, VOIP telephony is time sensitive, whereas watching Youtube or Netflix not so much (it has a large amount of buffering for one thing). So if you are using lots of your bandwidth for different activities, traffic prioritisation will help keep things moving along (no delays in your Facetime chat etc).

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

You can tell Plusnet sell the 40:2 rather than 40:10 throttled on the btw speedtest results people post on here, showing max 2mb upload. If plusnet was throttling then BTW wouldnt know that.

In addition, it would be costing plusnet more to but 40:10 and sell it as 40:2 than just buing the cheaper product.

googling BTW prices there aren't any special offers either that would make is cheaper to by 40:10

As @Browni mentioned, I believe Plusnet applies shaping to your invidiual line, so a windows update gets throttled back if you are watching a HD Iplayer stream and your line is not big enough for both, the prioritise your video over your bulk downloads, rather than like 10 years ago when ISPs throttled p2p traffic at peak times for everyone. No evidence of Plusnet doing that, and on their pages they state they dont throttle any types of traffic.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Plusnet Dave's blog on the subject Dave's Unlimited Blog

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine