cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has my 40/20 been changed to 40/2 without telling me?

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Has my 40/20 been changed to 40/2 without telling me?

Seems that as of the beginning of this month, my upload speed has dropped from about 15 to 19Mbps to 1.5Mbps (best I've had is 1.8Mbps trying to figure this out), I know there's the new network thing coming shortly, but, it's a hell of a drop from 20 to 2 when it comes to online gaming (teamspeak is becoming unusable for me, I can hear fine, but the others can't hear me properly due to being garbled and cut out due to lack of bandwidth!), so, investigation please?
Not the best start to my newly built gaming computer if I can't game with people!! Roll_eyes
12 REPLIES 12
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Has my 40/20 been changed to 40/2 without telling me?

Run the BT diagnostic speed test and check what it gives for the upload IP Profile.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

Seems the profile is still 40/20 (test run on my desktop PC wired to the router), but the upload is still slower than a dessicated snail, kind of amusing that it says they were unable to see a problem, when the upload speed is over ten times slower than the profile.......... Huh
I'll have to try direct-connecting to the modem, just incase in the unlikely event it's the router...
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It would still be worth phoning or using chat as I seem to remember another case recently where the upstream profile was 20Mb/s but something at Plusnet's end was restricting it
gtowen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

@twocvbloke I've just had a similar problem, see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,149911.0.html
My upload speed has returned to an average of 14 Mb/s but if PN insist on 40/2 I can see the speed being restricted again Sad
BrightonRock1
Grafter

Quote from: twocvbloke
Seems the profile is still 40/20 (test run on my desktop PC wired to the router), but the upload is still slower than a dessicated snail, kind of amusing that it says they were unable to see a problem, when the upload speed is over ten times slower than the profile.......... Huh
I'll have to try direct-connecting to the modem, just incase in the unlikely event it's the router...

I couldn't tell which browser you used for the test. I have had some odd results with Firefox on that test, recently significantly under-estimating the upload speed.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As an aside - you need to use the full BT Speedtest followed by Further Diagnostics NOT the short cut version to get an accurate upload speed result
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

I've just tested the connection with one of my laptops directly connected to the modem so no routers involved, same thing, barely close to 2Mbps, but 10 minutes or so after I reconnected everything, all of a sudden, 14Mbps upload, why couldn't it have done this last night before I went online gaming... Huh
Sod's law ain't it, something breaks, no obvious issues why, as soon as it's called out it fixes itself... Roll_eyes
It has highlighted that I'm losing about 4Mbps Down over my link between modem & router though, may have to fix that at somepoint...
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Oldjim
As an aside - you need to use the full BT Speedtest followed by Further Diagnostics NOT the short cut version to get an accurate upload speed result

I went through the full test that the wholesale thing puts me through, first a speedtest, then asking for the phoneline number to do further tests, then saying "nowt wrong 'ere mate" with a huge grey bar of wrongness... Grin
spranglebolt

As a matter of interest, have you just renewed your contract? Mine is up in four weeks time and, as recommended in another thread here, I have just spoken to CustServ at PN. A guy confirmed that Yes, I would be knocked back to 2mb/s (currently I'm on the 40/20 offer and BT/ThinkBroadband/Ookla all regularly confirm actual of approx. 13mb/s which is fine by me).

If this is the case it will be enough (combined with 2yr contract and substantial cost increase) to lead me to say 'Goodbye PN'.

etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

Some people have renewed contract and suffered a 40/2 product change. I'm not sure if plusnet revert it back to 40/20 @Chris or @HarryB maybe able to shed some light on this Cool_smiley

Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

If your on 40/20 and renew you should remain on 40/20 whoever told you it changes to 40/2 is wrong, It would change if you were on 80/20 and changed to the 40Mb package.

If however you are put on the 40/2 when you renew someone on CRT should be able to put you back

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the word 'renew' is the key. It does seem that if you get a PN call and you change anything to get you off your legacy contract then a new one could well be 40/2.