cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone tried a Draytek Vigor 130 modem?

Malcky
Grafter

Has anyone tried a Draytek Vigor 130 modem?

Hi folks,
As title really, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with a Draytek Vigor 130 modem instead of any of the open reach ones or any all in one VDSL modem/routers?
Thanks
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Has anyone tried a Draytek Vigor 130 modem?

as a start read here for combined VDSL units http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html
I have the Billion 8800NL and am very happy with it
leader
Grafter

You won't really see any difference with the v130 if you already have a newer model openreach (eci) modem.
The vigor 130 & eci are very closely related.
JasonMassey
Grafter

The Vigor 130 supports G.INP (both on TX and RX).
If it's anything like Drayteks other products it should be very reliable and well supported.
leader
Grafter

Just Like the newer model of the eci.
Not knocking the v130 - its stable and does the job.
Just wont really see any difference if Malcky has a recent install of an eci.
Malcky
Grafter

Not sure what modem I will get but I do know that it's a Huawei street cabinet for my house.
Really don't know if there still is a need to have the modem match the street cabinet brand or not, I would just rather have a good solid connection 24/7 even if it's a little less is overall speed.
leader
Grafter

Best waiting then to see what gets installed.
Agree with  JasonMassey on the vigor range being  very reliable and rock solid.
Most of the high end devices ( Lancom,  Draytek  ect ) use Lantiq based hardware.
JasonMassey
Grafter

Malcky,  if your getting the Vigor 130, then I would be temped to go the whole hog, and get the Vigor 2760.
The 2760n is £130 on Amazon, and the 2760 is around £100.
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/soho/vigor-2760
I personally have a Vigor 2860n that's excellent, but the 2860 is overkill for most home users.
Malcky
Grafter

Thanks for all the info folks, I think I will stick to a VDSL modem only route so that I can make full use of my Apple AirPort Extreme (wireless AC version) as it's been rock solid for all my household devices...albeit it's only ever been used in bridged mode as Sky's router was needed to make the initial internet connection.....(wifi and the access point was disabled on the sky router).
So with that in mind, would choosing the vigor 130 modem make a sensible purchase over using whichever openreach modem is given to me....in terms of a stable connection.
For information, PN gives my line details of upto 62Mb and using the BT's adsl checker it shows 80Mb high, 62.5Mb low on the clean figures and 75.6Mb high, 51.5Mb low on the impacted figures.  So looks to me like PN are using the lowest number for my estimated speeds?
JasonMassey
Grafter

Hi Malcky,
Personally if your only changing the modem I would stick with BT's.
Some of the BT modems (ECI) don't support G.INP correctly, so there maybe a reason to change there, otherwise I would stick with BT's.   My knowledge is not up to date on G.INP and BT modems so best search for the forum.
As mentioned I have a Vigor 2860n, but this is because I needed the extra features from the router side.   It's a very stable router/modem, but then never really recall any issues with my BT ECI modem / Plusnet router either.
Re speed, the Vigor 2860n never increased connection speed.  What I did notice was a very slight reduction in latency (2ms) on ping times, but put this down to the Vigor 2860n containing router/modem in same box.

leader
Grafter

Agree with Jason
Best sticking  with the openreach modem for now.
The new model eci supports G.INP and will be just as stable if not more so than the v130.
Malcky
Grafter

I'm not too clued up on this G.INP thing either as to what it is or what it means if I'm given a modem that doesn't support it or if my street cabinet has it enabled yet (Huawei cab).
So is there any way I can find out if my street cabinet is even enabled for G.INP while I'm waiting for my connection to happen next week?
leader
Grafter

I wouldn't worry about G.INP to much.
The issues reported with the older modems,  wont apply to the shiny new model you'll get Smiley
If your still keen on the v130-  It does run warm for Lantiq* standards with its half size board.
Fingers crossed all goes well with the install.
*(VRX200 platform 333M clock)