Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone's speed decreased recently?

OriginalTM
Dabbler

Has anyone's speed decreased recently?

Hi everyone,

Sorry to bother but I was wondering if anyone else is having the same issue as me at the moment as I'm currently on Plusnets 70/20 plan and was quite happy as my speeds were around 49/14. However recently since going on holiday the speeds have tanked to around 20/12 (Uploads still quite good however the download is less than half of it's previous average).

It's not major and I understand that their may be line maintenance and optimizations going on however it just strikes me as odd that it was fine until the past couple of weeks.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues and is it worth me giving CS a quick call just to check whats going on?

17 REPLIES 17
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Has anyone's speed decreased recently?

Is it a drop in sync speed or a drop in speed on downloads (i.e. a speed test)

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Hi

It would be pretty unlikely that it would effect many others on the forum (at least without a major event happening, then the forum would be inundated with people reporting it).  Most likely it is something to do with your connection, either internal to your property, or externally.  Next possibly, which is less likely is that it is a problem with your cabinet or exchange which would only affect people in your area.

We first need to pin down what is being affected, which is were SteveA's question comes in.  If it is a drop in sync speed (the speed that your router connects to the cabinet), then that points to issues with your physical line or equipment, or some kind of interference (internally or externally to your premises).

If it is a drop in your throughput (as seen on a speed test), but your sync speed hasn't dropped, then there are another set of potential issues to solve (such as wifi performance).

Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

We first need to pin down what is being affected, which is were SteveA's question comes in.  If it is a drop in sync speed (the speed that your router connects to the cabinet), then that points to issues with your physical line or equipment, or some kind of interference (internally or externally to your premises).

But be aware that a sudden drops in sync speed may well be dismissed if the line is running within its defined range (I recently got a 13% drop in sync speed and PN said that as the line was still within its sync range it wasn't a problem).

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Thanks for getting in touch and apologies for the issues you're having with your speeds.

Checking your estimates your line shows that you should be connecting between 74 and 80Mb/s

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 74 20 20 67 Available -- -- -- --

However your line is currently connecting to the cabinet at 25.0 Mbps.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0003
Description No problem found, OAM test is not currently supported on this line.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 25.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 19.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 554.5
Upstream Rate Assessment Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-25M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-19M Upstream, Retransmission Low
Time Stamp 2017-06-16T13:45:00

I'd definitely advise making sure you're connected to the test socket and then report to us as a fault at https://faults.plus.net

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
OriginalTM
Dabbler

Hi Chris,

Thanks for letting me know as it is certainly not getting those speeds (I wish it were). I'll have a go when I get home today to move the modem as it might be a dodgy cable between the master socket.

I'll let you know if moving the modem works Cheesy

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Let us know how you get on!

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
OriginalTM
Dabbler

Hi Chris,

I got back home today and to rule out any other variables I plugged my testing BTOR modem into the test socket under the faceplate. I also went directly from the BTOR modem to my laptop and it still looks to be getting ~23Mbps. I think their might be an issue with our cabinet outside so I'm going to check with support and see if they can reset it for us. Smiley

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Our tests have now found a external fault so we've raised that for you.

As soon as we know more we'll let you know.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
OriginalTM
Dabbler

Perfect, I'll keep an eye on the phone and the speed to see when it gets sorted. Smiley

OriginalTM
Dabbler

So as an update an engineer came out today and fitted a new cable however the speed only increased by 1Mbit. Despite this the guy on the phone has put the issue forward for more investigation as it might be something on the cabinet end. Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

I've updated this ticket for you. If you let us know once you've replied, I can get the fault moving forward Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
OriginalTM
Dabbler

Hi, I've now responded to the ticket Smiley

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

We'll get that picked up shortly.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
OriginalTM
Dabbler

Superb, just waiting to get a day sorted now (Awesome work so far though) Smiley