cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone else been mis-sold fibre?

hadrill

Has anyone else been mis-sold fibre?

I was "sold the dream" of fibre.  It doesn't work.  BT advised that it will never work as there is too much copper between the cabinet and my house.  Plusnet know where the cabinet is and they know where I live.  So now I have no Fibre, no ADSL. 3 x BT Openreach visits (of which one didn't turn up as Plusnet didn't book it properly.  2 weeks later and still back at square one.  Plusnet not returning calls.  Is this normal?
7 REPLIES 7
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Has anyone else been mis-sold fibre?

Quote from: hadrill
Plusnet know where the cabinet is and they know where I live.
But they don't know how much copper there is between the two. Lines can take some odd routes to get from point A to point B. All PN can do is attempt to follow your instructions. You placed an order with PN. PN placed an order with BT and it was accepted.
Sadly it turns out that your line isn't capable of carrying the service afterall (something that not even BT could be sure about until they actually tried). A couple of engineers sent to try and get your service running seems fair enough, it shows both PN and BT to be willing to try on your behalf.
Now you just need putting back onto ADSL and presumably your installation charges refunding. The only thing that sounds a bit naff to me is that it's taken two weeks to determine that your line is not suitable (waiting for engineers presumably) and that from the sound of it you're still not back on ADSL.
hadrill

The first engineer that arrived announced that Fibre was never an option before he tested the line and this view was formed purely on location.  Why 2 weeks later am I not back on?  The enginner that came out today has been sent out for a FTTC problem.  Given that I am not on Fibre and that PN booked the call yesterday it seems to me that PN and BT should talk to each other.
hadrill

If the Cabinet is approximately 2 miles from my house (if you took a direct line) and is connected via cables that are mole-trenched through the fields, would fibre normally be deliverable over a minimum 2 mile copper cable?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That should have come up in the speed estimates before you ordered.
What does http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome say for your line?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
WTF
Grafter

My performance was a tad disappointing - around 11.5Mbps - but it's still almost double what I was getting with ADSL.  I was hoping for a bit more, but I can't say I was mis-sold.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@'hadrill' have you investigated "Fixed Wireless Access" broadband in your area ?,
as that is likely to be a better immediate solution (if available) than anything that can be supplied over >2 miles of copper !
Here is the 'ISPreview' list of "Fixed Wireless Access" suppliers - http://www.ispreview.co.uk/isp_list/ISP_List_Wireless.php
Doglet
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Pretty much everyone is miss-sold fibre!
No actual fibre optic comes into your house, not even with Virgin Media, you get a coaxial cable!
If optical fibre came into your house you could live 100km away from your exchange without issue!
If you are struggling and have the money get FTTP (Fibre To The Premises)
After waiting over 3 years for BT to upgrade my cabinet I just decided to move house instead!  Crazy