cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardwiring in another room

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hardwiring in another room

Here are a couple of pictures taken of my installation.

Plaster MarkWall Socket

In the top picture you can see the only replastering that was needed was only a few inches and this was done so the electrician could get the 5 (1 spare) past a noggin in the wall.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

nice tidy job there @Anonymous

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't really take credit for @rongtw, it was the electrician that did it all, the garage side looks just as good even though it's all surface mount. He installed and provided 2 x 13A dual mains sockets back to the fuse box, both side of the quad LAN connections, an optical fire detector linked in to the others in the house, all done at the same time and I even got change out of £100!

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I connected a short 100Mbit drop lead from the router to a 4-port Gbit switch.

I bought a 30m Cat 5e patch lead to connect the 4-port switch to a 8-port Gbit switch (situated under the TV), using clips to fasten the ethernet cable to the skirting board.

I then ran a 10m Cat 5e patch lead across the fireplace, held down with pot plants into my main PC.

Because I used patch leads and switches everywhere, I didn't have to do any fancy cable crimping - which I can't do anyway.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I did consider buying the cat5 cable crimping tool when I ran a cat5 cable for the YouView box but instead I mounted a cat5 surface box in the computer room, and at the other end (where I didn't want a box), I broke the cable out into a chocolate block connector, then cut a spare cat5 patch cable in half, and patched the cut end into the chocolate block. I know it isn't a great idea for signal integrity etc but it works fine and I didn't have to buy the crimping tool (which I might use once in a blue moon).

VileReynard
Hero

Yuck!

For £5 you could have done the job properly with one of these:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Network-Keystone-Coupler-Female/dp/B016B13UDK/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qi...

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

That wouldn't have worked because the cable had to be fed through walls etc and this couldn't be done with the connector on the end.

If the connector was on the end of the cable I still wouldn't have need the coupler, I would just have plugged the connector into the YouView box.

VileReynard
Hero

I had to drill through a brick wall.

Wrap the connector in masking tape and you will get no problems. Cheesy

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

as long as you have a large enough drill bit

VileReynard
Hero

I used a 12" drill bit for the brick wall.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like a hole cutter to me Funny

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I can't imagine having to drill holes large enough to put the RJ45 connector through when routing a cable. Given the route I had to take my cat5 cable, it would have meant drilling much larger holes everywhere. If I really wanted a crimped RJ45 at the end of my routed cable, I would have bought a crimping tool long before routing the cable all over the place with a connector still attached.

Cutterschoice
Grafter

Hi all, I just wanted to pop in quick, hope some of you are still about.
It's just a quick thank you really, I got the house keys last week, and got an independent to sort the master socket move.

A really nice electrician also put my mind at rest he's sorting the network cable through the wall early next month, going for a dual port as recommended here.

Sadly I had to leave plusnet after 5 years, they messed my account up during the "house move" transfer. Apart from that really happy and thanks again for your advice. I've added a picture of the now pretty master socket Smiley
VileReynard
Hero

Is that "network cable" a phone wire or proper ethernet cable?

Cutterschoice
Grafter

Picture is of the redone phone wire, it was a complete mess when I got the keys, a separate Ethernet will be going in the wall in a few weeks so I can connect from the router down stairs straight in the wall with my pc upstairs.