Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had to gateway hop to restore connection

KevinA
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Had to gateway hop to restore connection

I've just had to gateway hop to restore my internet connection, all devices in the house had no connection as all web pages just timed out.. Strangely I was still able to connect via my VPN..
5 REPLIES 5
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Had to gateway hop to restore connection

Hi, how many devices are you running and on  which router, I'm just curious ?
30FTTC06
Pro

Still the same one ?
Quote from: KevinAndrews
I can confirm I've had this issue at least twice in the 2 past week, I've done a full reset of the Technicolor TG582n FTTC Router as I had manually changed via telnet to google DNS, and have now reverted back to plusnet DNS and updated the router to Firmware  R10.2.5.2 but 10-15min ago just had this issue again..
Everything connected via wireless seemed to fail (2 x wii, 3x android devices) but the Desktop PC wired kept working fine.. Strangely if I edited the network settings on one of the wii's to use 8.8.8.8 8 & 8.8.4.4 (google) that wii then worked.
More strangely once I logged in to the router using the Desktop PC all sprung back in to action without actually making any changes.
Seems odd that the router DNS server would suddenly start failing..?
KevinA
Rising Star

I have 19 devices, combination of WIFI and Ethernet.. I use the Technicolor TG582n (think I should invest in a better router) I also have a DG834 used as a booster for wifi connected via powerline adaptors with DHCP turned off..
KevinA
Rising Star

Yeah same router as above post, although it hasn't failed to often recently..
30FTTC06
Pro

I'm using 2 Raspberry Pi's running PDNSD, I'm sure plenty other options are just as good, it's worth buying a new type Raspberry and waving goodbye to the problem once and for all for £22.50. Plus you get a very powerfull tool at the same time. It's more than worth the time and effort just for the learning curve.