cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had it with constant Broadband dropouts

Tillerman
Dabbler

Had it with constant Broadband dropouts

Plusnet Customer for a number of years with little/no problems.

Since taking up a new deal last year where I downgraded fibre speed it's been nothing but a nightmare.

At that point, received new PN Hub and removed OpenReach NTU.

It was ok for a short while and then on a regular basis I am getting burst of disconnections - line is only up for a few minutes before dying again. Seems to come in busts, but not always. Since Xmas the longest the connection has been up is 3 days - and that only once.

OR say fault found and fixed, but the same problem returns. Now have to wait again for an OR eng. 

Anyone else has this? - I'm not convinced that the HH is not a duffer.

Any advice welcomed.

17 REPLIES 17
Tillerman
Dabbler

Re: Had it with constant Broadband dropouts

Radius scan attached

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you checked for noise on the phone line? Seeing how you are getting bursts of dropouts, as soon as they start pick up the phone, dial 17070 and do a quiet line test.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Unfortunately it appears that this is the same issue we're looking in to elsewhere, when you are uploading heavily it's causing your connection to drop. Realistically we shouldn't send an engineer as they won't be able to resolve the issue.

I'll respond to the fault ticket shortly.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Do you still have your OR modem? Can you try putting it back in and use the wan port on the hub one to connect through?
Tillerman
Dabbler

I wish I did. 

Advised to throw it after change to PN Hub and did so whilst having a clear out of old tech....

Tillerman
Dabbler

I'm not aware that I'm uploading anything in great quantity. Is there an easy way to see if a particular device is doing this? Then I can disable it and check.

MrSilver
Pro

Hub doesn't have upload per connection stats.
Easiest way is turn wifi off and use one computer at a time added in, then one device at a time for wifi

iPhones android do lots of backup upload potential.

Try this too http://www.pcworld.com/article/2955491/windows/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-using-your-pcs-bandwidth-...
Tillerman
Dabbler

Hi Mr Silver,

Thankfully we are an apple household (all bar one machine) - which I will look at this feature on. Appreciate the insight.

Tillerman
Dabbler

Sent a reply on the ticket on my PN account 2 days ago and haven't heard a bean from them since. I thought PlusNet was better than that.

PN seems to look here so here goes...

The connection is crapping out again - from about 11.30 this morning. Only one person who is working on the web and email. Can someone in PN please take this just a little seriously. I know that I'm not the only user plagued with this problem.

Again - this never happened on the high-speed service so I ask again. Please change up my service until you can guarantee the performance on the normal speed product. What I have at present is not fit for purpose and I have to consider my options on this basis.

MrSilver
Pro

@Tillerman I'm heavily apple too 🙂 main uploaders will be things like iCloud uploads of pics taken and any apps syncing data up to iCloud when you might have been out of the house and iCloud backup of phone
racey
Dabbler

I've also gotbthe dropout problem after uploading to the cloud.

Spoke to the helpline today and made some changes to the configuration.

Interestingly, the email sent from customer support included a link in case of further problems which led to  https://www.johnlewisbroadband.com/support/ 

Do Plusnet and John Lewis Broadband use the same Customer Service team?

MrSilver
Pro

Big box at the bottom of the page you linked

John Lewis Broadband is provided by Plusnet plc.
Tillerman
Dabbler

All I've had from Plusnet is an admission of a problem that they do not know how to solve and basically a "tough luck - deal with it" tone.

Their 20/2 product is obviously substandard so I have AGAIN asked to be put onto 40/20 until they can deal with normal traffic on the upload side.

I always thought that PN were a cut above the other but am seriously doubting it now....

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

I thought the problem had been identified and fixed elsewhere.

Cant remember which thread it was, but Bob Pullen mention a fix, it would be worth getting back to PN about this.

Also it seems a HH5 is not affected, so another router may be another option.