cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had faulty router/modem which caused DLM to kick in so now syncing lower, how to fix it?

hugoq
Dabbler

Had faulty router/modem which caused DLM to kick in so now syncing lower, how to fix it?

Hi Guys,

Wondering if you can help me on this.

I've got the Fibre unlimited package 80/20, for a few years now, the issue I had is that I was using Asus DSL-AC68U and as some maybe aware it really is not happy with VDSL lines.

Last year after more than 1 year using it and being synced at 80000/20000kbps, the router constantly dropped, causing me to lose download speed to the point it was synced at 62Mb/20Mb, found out it was a dodgy asus firmware update, but by then the DLM had kicked in, so raised a ticket but after my explanation they said it was within tolerance and I would just have to suck it up(Ok they didn't say that exactly Wink ). Later a faults team meber said they figured the issue out and my modem synced at 78Mb.

Moving along almost a year and the same router/modem just had another dodgy firmware update that caused issues with my wifi, so had to reset the router a few times, this of course kicked in the DLM(I think) and everytime I would switch and sync it would lower the speed by 2Mb or so, now it is synced at 68.4Mb, though BT speedtest gives me just below 64Mb.

Because of this I just bought the Netgear D7000 after seeing it mentioned a few times on this community and at Overclockers forum.

The problem is my speed is now stuck at lower than I know it is capable off because of the DLM(?).

Is there anything I can do or Plusnet?

Thanks

Hugo

23 REPLIES 23
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Had faulty router/modem which caused DLM to kick in so now syncing lower, how to fix it?

I'm just looking into this for you.

[edit]

Your issue isn't being caused by DLM as your profile is "0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off"

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
hugoq
Dabbler

Re: Had faulty router/modem which caused DLM to kick in so now syncing lower, how to fix it?

Really stumped now, as when I plug the Asus DSL-AC68U and the Netgear D7000 that is the similar sync speed.

Is there anything I can do on my side?
highpriest
Dabbler

What is the attainable speed reported by your modem/router?

hugoq
Dabbler

The Asus says maximum speed Down was 103Mb, not sure where I can see this on the netgear.

highpriest
Dabbler

I think you have to enable telnet access to the device first to see that info. For that, from what I've read, you have to enable debug mode on the device.

http://routerlogin.net/setup.cgi?todo=debug

Then telnet into the device and run:

adslctl info --show

I haven't tried this myself so please exercise caution.

hugoq
Dabbler

OK was able to do it after a few hours of faffing about with telnet.

I attached a screenshot of the stats provided by the router via telnet.

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

"0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off"

the part i have put in Bold states that interleaving is on the line DLM does this if it thinks things are to unstable whether it be a fault or dropping Sync to many times in a set period.

Unfortunately only DLM can remove it and it will only do so if it thinks the line is stable enough, so don't do anything leave things alone and DLM should increase the speed back up although this can take a week or more depending on how DLM feels the line is behaving. 

hugoq
Dabbler

You are probably right, in the last 48 hours the old router and the new one were restarted ore than a dozen times, so that might be it.

I'll just leave as it and see if it changes, before it was interleaved it was fastpath, but then the issues happened.

Thanks

highpriest
Dabbler

DLM should correct this over a week or two but in my case, it didn't. I was testing a different modem which triggered a bunch of resyncs over a period of 3 days that caused DLM to intervene and slow my sync speed down to 74000 (still on Fast Path).

Waited over a month, nothing changed. However, when I switched from BT to Plusnet last week, there was a full reset performed on my line and it started syncing at the full speed again.

Hopefully in your case, it will go back to normal without needing manual intervention. Just remember to not disturb it any further.

hugoq
Dabbler

Well it's been 10 days my line has been rock steady with no drops for the last 10 days, but it seems the DLM has not synced higher. If I was to reboot the router would that sync higher or the DLM should do it by itself? Thanks

highpriest
Dabbler

The speed will only go up when a resync is performed. Power off your router, wait at least 30 minutes (two full 15 minute cycles), then power back on.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Don't bother, the large difference between actual speed and max. attainable is probably due to the fairly high level of interleaving (1339), which won't go away until the DLM decides to lower or remove the interleaving level.

hugoq
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply.

I've powered down for about an hour while I was out, switched it on but as you can see it only synced to 69.1Mb not a massive improvement.

Trying to get telnet enabled to so I can get more stats.

hugoq
Dabbler

Sorry didn't see your message, 

Is there anything that Plus.Net can do, do you think?