cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had 76 Mbps fibre once upon a time, can now only get 55 Mbps - WHY?

shah2000
Dabbler

Re: Had 76 Mbps fibre once upon a time, can now only get 55 Mbps - WHY?

@Browni wrote:

Crosstalk can have severe effects on a line as this thread from the Kitz forum shows.

That kind of explains what has happened to me. Angry

I should have stuck with 76Mbps when I had it instead of downgrading. Embarrassed

shah2000
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 wrote:

This reply has just crossed with the previous post. Can crosstalk really get that bad that speeds can reduce from 76 to 55Mbps?

Based on link by @Browni, the answer is yes. Cry

shah2000
Dabbler

@SammyM wrote:

Hello @shah2000,

Thanks for getting back to us. I can see there has been a bit of confusion over the speeds you should have been receiving on the contracts you have had with us. I have looked into this for you and replied via your account here, to shed some light on the matter. I can assure you the maximum you line can handle is 55Mbps and I have run a GEA test shown below to show you the speed we are seeing at hour side.

Please can let us when have carried out the request in the ticket and the results you see.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Downstream Speed 58.5 Mbps
Upstream Speed 5.5 Mbps
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence ; 00:00 to 23:45
Interference Location Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days 5
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Profile Name 0.128M-55M Downstream 6dB, Retransmission High - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off

Can you explain the bits marked in red further?

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@shah2000 wrote:

I should have stuck with 76Mbps when I had it instead of downgrading. Embarrassed

Downgrading won't have caused the problem.

Depending on how often you run a speedtest there would have been a gradual decrease in speed over time along with some sharp dips when a particularly noisy line becomes active.

Vectoring can reduce the impact of crosstalk but that is not widely available yet.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Why is the line in synch at 58.5Mbps if the maximum it can handle is 55Mbps @SammyM?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@shah2000 Regular Interference Observed Daily at Customer Premise could be practically anything like electrical interference, unfortunately we can't raise a fault to our suppliers solely based on this. Error Protection is a form of interleaving which helps keep the line stable, this is turned off. Retransmission is another  form of error correction/interleaving which is switched on.

@Browni 55mbps isn't the maximum the line can handle, that's just the high range of the speed estimates.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
shah2000
Dabbler

@Browni wrote:

@shah2000 wrote:

Downgrading won't have caused the problem.

Depending on how often you run a speedtest there would have been a gradual decrease in speed over time along with some sharp dips when a particularly noisy line becomes active.

I wasn't saying it caused the problem, just that I would have had more chance of noticing any speed decrease if I had kept my speed at 76Mbps and possibly getting BT OpenReach to fix it.

Now I have to decide whether it is worth spending the extra few pounds for the extra 15 Mbps of speed or go back to 40 Mbps and save a few quid.

shah2000
Dabbler

@Gandalf wrote:

@shah2000 Regular Interference Observed Daily at Customer Premise could be practically anything like electrical interference, unfortunately we can't raise a fault to our suppliers solely based on this. Error Protection is a form of interleaving which helps keep the line stable, this is turned off. Retransmission is another  form of error correction/interleaving which is switched on.

@Browni 55mbps isn't the maximum the line can handle, that's just the high range of the speed estimates.

@Gandalf, Is there anything I can do find out what the cause of the Regular Interference is so that I can try and mitigate it?  Would ring mains electricity or RF interference from a power brick for the router cause such interference?

What is the benefit of Retransmission over Error Protection in terms of latency and bandwidth?

@Browni, My results from Speedtest.net, and another method, both show a slightly improved download speed of 57 Mbps today, so it seems as though I am getting closer to the sync speed.  But my upload speed hasn't improved. Sad

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

RF interference from a power brick for the router cause such interference

Yes, or anything similar.  These can degrade over time without actually failing.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@shah2000 the interference could be something electrical nearby, it's difficult to advise.

Retransmission is a form of error correction/interleaving which is better because it can improve sync speeds but both retransmission and error correction/interleaving do have a negative impact on latency.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
shah2000
Dabbler

@Gandalf wrote:

@shah2000 the interference could be something electrical nearby, it's difficult to advise.

Retransmission is a form of error correction/interleaving which is better because it can improve sync speeds but both retransmission and error correction/interleaving do have a negative impact on latency.

@Gandalf, if I move away anything that could cause interference by using shielded extension cables, would that be automatically detected and my speeds improved, or does something have to be done on your end to retrain the sync speed?

Also something that is puzzling me, how does BT Openreach know that the interference is on my premises as opposed to being somewhere between my house and the cabinet?  Unless there is some test equipment in the master socket or an Openreach engineer does a test at the master socket, I can't think of any way they can isolate the interference to my property.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@shah2000 wrote:
if I move away anything that could cause interference by using shielded extension cables, would that be automatically detected and my speeds improved, or does something have to be done on your end to retrain the sync speed?

It may / may not. Cry  I had a particularly nasty case where the power supply unit causing the intererence was the one powering the router, replaced the power unit with a spare - problem gone.  It can be a time consuming task so one approach is to switch off ALL possible electrical devices and test using a laptap / Tablet on battery power. Try a different router (see above).  Hopefully the 'noise' will temporarily go away and then switching other devices back on in a controlled manner will highlight the probable culprit. Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@shah2000

Assuming that speed is not being capped by a 'profile' limiter it will be determined by the maximum speed that can be maintained at the reference SNR. If the background noise or interference is of constant amplitude and is reduced then this will result in an immediate corresponding increase in SNR - the signal will remain costant but the noise will reduce. Automatic control measures should then bring the SNR back to the raference level with a corresponding increase in speed.

What I mean by this rambling is if you are looking for a device that is causing problems then look not only for increased speed but also increased SNR when the faulty device is isolated. If the SNR increases then the speed should pick up at some time.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Automatic control measures should then bring the SNR back to the reference level with a corresponding increase in speed.

If VDSL works similar to ADLS any potential gain in sync speed from the removal of interference (increase in SNRM) is only going to be gained the next time the modem resyncs … and that should not be tried too often as it might be assumed by the DLM to be line instability.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@Townman

Once more thank you for increasing my knowledge of how DLM works.

However I think (please advise if I am wrong) that this reinforces my comment that if you're looking to observe the effect of switching off devices on base.noise then the key is to observe SNR. The great unknown for me is that I have no idea of how often this is updated on a standard moden/router.

However if the modem supports a monitoring program such as dslstats then the effect of switching off faulty devices on SNR should be immediately obvious. Only if the SNR is increased is it worth instigating a resync.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'