Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guatanteed BB Speed

TW
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Guatanteed BB Speed

My contract was renewed in November 2021.

Plus net guaranteed a speed of 39Mbs and I am getting about half of that (according to Speedfix),

Prior to contract change things were good and I had no complaints.

Am I doing something wrong or is it a problem?

13 REPLIES 13
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Guatanteed BB Speed

@TW Don't know if you are 'doing anything wrong', but if you supply the requested information from the text below, we may be able to help:-

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection please report the 'Additional Diagnostics', and sight of the Help Desk tab from your Hub would be a start.

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of you phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If phone test is OK then take the front off your telephone master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the test socket. Plug a filter in here and connect that to your hub. If it’s still dropping out then report a fault at https://faults.plus.net.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@TW 

Are you testing using a fixed or WiFi connection?

It's the fixed conenction speed that matters in the first instance.

Brian

jab1
Legend

Good point, @bmc - although I  think my post mentioned the use of a wired connection for testing?

John
TW
Rising Star

@jab1 , @bmc 

Thanks for the guidance.

It is a wired connection and I'll do the tests tomorrow and post my findings.

I'm grateful for the help (apology for the heading spelling mistake).

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @TW

I'm really sorry to see you're having speed issues.

I've tested your line today and the tests aren't showing the cause for this, but I can see your router's getting 39mbps still. This however is below where we'd expect your line to achieve of between 49mbps to 68.8mbps. 

Let us know how the above checks go, if you're still having issues I'd be happy to arrange an engineer visit for a closer look. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
TW
Rising Star

@jab1 , @bmc, @Gandalf

The results of the tests suggested are :-

========================================================
BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number)
I did not understand the output of this complex page but I saved the html page for reference with guidance from the forum if advised.
===============================
BTW Performance Tester
PING 8 ms
DOWNLOAD 34.52 Mbps
UPLOAD 8.36 Mbps
================================================
Quiet line was silent
==========================================

You will see that I find this difficult but from what @Gandalf says it would seem that my difficulty lies on my side of the router (Netgear WNDR 3700V4) so should I shutdown and reboot in the hope that that will fix it?

TW
Rising Star

Much to my surprise the saved html page did not preserve the data,
I'll try again and see if a screenshot is more helpful

TW
Rising Star

I tried again and this is the (text saved) somewhat inadequate result.

All the headings are messed up, my apologies to all:-

==========================

Broadband Availability Checker

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) help 68.8 49 17.6 11.6 44 Available Available
VDSL Range B (Impacted) help 67.1 45.6 17.2 10.6 39.4 Available Available
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install Process
FTTP on Demand 330 50 -- Available --
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 6 -- 4 to 8 Available
WBC ADSL2+ Annex M Up to 6 Up to 1 4 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other Offerings Availability Date
VDSL Multicast Available
ADSL Multicast Available
Exchange Product Restrictions Status
FTTP Priority Exchange N
WLR Withdrawal N
SOADSL Restriction Y
-------------------------------------------
The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme
WLR is currently available at the exchange
SOADSL is restricted at the exchange
FTTP is not available.
For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.
Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

jab1
Legend

@TW Thanks for those above posts. For reference, they are much easier to read and understand (from my perspective) if you do a screen grab of the actual page and upload the actual pictures.

Unfortunately, I don't know your modem/router, but is there somewhere on there which gives your current speed/uptime &c?

The 'details' from the BT Broadband page are incomplete - hence why full screen grabs are important.

John
TW
Rising Star

I've tried again...thank you for your patience....

Screenshot12..png
jab1
Legend

@TW Thanks for that last post - much easier to understand, although the phone number rather than address checker would have given us an idea of your current speed - although IIRC, @Gandalf has already indicated that the speed to your modem/router is already below expectations.

Quite honestly, my thoughts at the moment are that you need investigation by BTOR.

@Gandalf - time to wave your magic wand?😉

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Before OR, there are the other points in @jab1  post:

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of you phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If phone test is OK then take the front off your telephone master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the test socket. Plug a filter in here and connect that to your hub. If it’s still dropping out then report a fault at https://faults.plus.net.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hey @TW,

Thanks for sending this info over. I think the best course of action would be to arrange for an engineer to come out to the property and have a further look at things. I've raised a support ticket on your account concerning this, which can be accessed here. Please let us know once you've had a chance to read and respond to it and we'll be happy to pick this back up for review as soon as possible Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team