Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grindingly Slow New Connection

FIXED
RussH
Hooked

Grindingly Slow New Connection

My FTTC broadband service went live 4 days ago but is extremely slow. I am less than half a mile from the exchange, and my line attenuation figures seem good. Plusnet estimated my speed would be between 31 and 40 Mb/s but my IP Profile is 7.14 Mb/s and hasn't improved since it went live. Uploads speed is 1.17 Mb/s on a profile of 10 Mb/s.

I realise this is still within the first fortnight but it doesn't look right. Does anyone have an idea of whether this is part of the so called 'training process', or does it look like a problem with my connection? I've appended the stats below. This is on a Hub 2.

Russ.

Plusnet estimated speeds:

Product: Unlimited Fibre
Estimated Download Range: 31 - 40Mbps
Estimated Upload Range: 5 - 7Mbps
Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 29.2Mbps
Current Line Speed (Download): 37Mbp

BT Whosale Performance Test:
Ping 25 ms
Download 6.74 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 5 - 7.14 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 7.14 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was 1.39 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 10 Mbps

Modem Router Stats:
Data rate:1.173 Mbps / 7.385 Mbps
Maximum data rate:1.173 Mbps / 7.474 Mbps
Noise margin:6.0 / 6.1
Line attenuation:9.3 / 25.0
Signal attenuation:9.3 / 21.5

19 REPLIES 19
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Grindingly Slow New Connection

@RussH Welcome to the forums. Something doesn't quite look right there, for certain. Could you please post  a screenshot of your broadband and technical pages please. I'm just wondering if your username and password is still in the 'setup' mode.

John
jab1
Legend

A further thought, as your line speed is reported as 37Mbps - have you checked your phone line for noise?

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

As well as @jab1  questions, I note your modem/router stats don't match the 37Mbps and wonder if you are on FTTC or ADSL?

Sight of the results of your phone number in the BTW DSL chechecker will help narrow things down. https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL 

Also, is this your first time on FTTC? And do you have a filtered master socket, or are you using dangly filters? If the latter have you tried from the test socket?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Mustrum  Upload IP profile of 10Mbps is definitely FTTC, something horribly wrong with the download, ignore the current line speed, that looks like the maximum default value and not relevant.

RussH
Hooked

Thanks everyone for your swift replies. Sorry to take a while to get back as I have been plumbing in a washing machine. I can't log in to my Plusnet account at the moment - it just gives me an error.

jab1, I have only recently moved in to the house. I haven't even got a phone yet so can't test for noise. I'll see if I can buy one tomorrow. I am out in the sticks though, so will be a big drive. The house has been empty since last July and was previously occupied by an elderly lady, so has probably never been on ADSL or FTTC.

Mustrum, I am using a new BT NTE5c MK4 with new cable to the BT junction box. Nothing else connected. I have attached a copy of the BT wholesale broadband checker.

jab1
Legend

@RussH I'm now wondering if your connection is truly live - those figures suggest not, If it is 'live', then you certainly have a major problem, quite possibly on the phone side of your circuit, but without the requested screen shots it is difficult to say for certain.  They are from your router, not your account, BTW.

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@RussH  The simplest way to say this is, you have a fault! But do try removing the faceplate on your MK4 filter/Master socket - they are known to be suspect - if your roter stats don't improve get a fault reported. A cheap phone will help determine if you have noise on the line and may save a bit of time.

Good point @RealAleMadrid  clearly something wrong though.

RussH
Hooked

I just plugged into the test socket with a dongle, and no improvement.

I have attached my modem status screen grabs.

RussH
Hooked

Incidentally, I can no longer log in to Plusnet. If I try and reset my password via email, it just gives me an error. This happened since my original post several hours ago.

jab1
Legend

Personally, I would report a fault, but without knowing if you have noise on the line it is difficult to say whether a phone or broadband one.

John
jab1
Legend

@RussH wrote:

Incidentally, I can no longer log in to Plusnet. If I try and reset my password via email, it just gives me an error. This happened since my original post several hours ago.

Looks like your account is corrupted, then. I would wait for one of the PN Help Team to pick this up - maybe tomorrow, but more likely Monday.

John
RussH
Hooked

OK, well thanks everyone for your help. I'll report back here when I find out what the problem is.

RussH
Hooked

Plusnet did a line test and found a fault, so Openreach engineer booked for Tuesday.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Hey Russ,

I'm really sorry for the issues you've been having. Let us know how it goes once the engineer's been and gone tomorrow. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet