Did you mean: 

Gradual reduction of sync speed

paulcobb
Grafter

Gradual reduction of sync speed

I was migrated to fibre on 26/2
Intitally syncing at over 80Mbs
I was getting 76Mb/s + download.
I was the first person connected to fibre on my PCP.
Distance is 352m
Since then my sync speed has crept down to 62Mbs today.
Is this to be expected?
My routed stays connected for long periods with no disconnection as far as i can see.
Only disconnecting when i have tried to get a better sync speed by manually disconnecting and reconnecting at this end.
Would someone comment on what you can see from PN side?
Thanks
Paul
9 REPLIES 9
AArdvark
Grafter

Re: Gradual reduction of sync speed

On fibre, if you disconnect too often DLM will kick in and make changes to the line assuming that the disconnects are because of a line fault.
If you disconnect your router aka 'switch the power off' wait approx 30 mins before you switch it back on.
There are various suggestions on the 'right' time to wait but advice I received was 30 mins.
Switching on & off tends to be bad news as DLM will kick in hard if it thinks the line needs 'correcting'.
If someone knows 'exactly' how DLM works please do jump in, many would like to know & understand including ME  Grin
paulcobb
Grafter

I have been following this roughly.
I was working on the premise that the DLM cycle is 15mins and therefore if you wait 30 mins at least one full cycle has elapsed.
I have done this maybe 4 times in the month.
KatC
Grafter

@ paulcobb
This potentially sounds like cross talk, if this is the case this is the nature of technology as more people access the network. However if there is a fault, please raise this via faults.plus.net.
paulcobb
Grafter

How do I determine if this is cross talk or a fault?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I've run a line test (which is why you may have noted a quick drop just now) and can confirm the line isn't banded. I can't tell if there is any crosstalk. The next option to look at speeds then would be to raise a fault report at faults.plus.net.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
paulcobb
Grafter

It's not that I'm 'unhappy' with the speeds I'm getting - but I was happier with what I was achieving a month ago!
Today

1 month ago

I'd just like to understand why?
Melancholie
Grafter

Does sound like crosstalk Paul. I was also the first on my PCP and the initial attainable figure was 98Mb with connection at the full 80. It dropped over time and ended up in the mid-60s as more customers came online.
G.inp which BT will have rolled out completely by June put another couple of Mb back.
What you've described seems a pretty clear case. More people using FTTC, their lines and yours interfering with one another, slower speeds.
ericgripp
Grafter

my bad, indeed this seems like it could be cross talk or an issue with the line.
Melancholie
Grafter

It's not that issue - his ping / latency hasn't gone up.