cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got the Fibre Installed Today and I Have a Question

JeanofKinver
Dabbler

Got the Fibre Installed Today and I Have a Question

My fibre was installed today and it is currently connected at 38.6 Mb with uploads at less than 2Mb.
I was led to understand that my line would be capable o fup to 60Mb + and uploads at 20Mb  and based upon that information I chose the Fibre Extra package to get the higher speeds. So, is my line in some sort of training phase or is this as good as it will ever get? If so I am disappointed and may be paying extra cash for something I cannot get. I get that it will never be at the maximum the line is capable of but I had hoped for a bit more than this.
Can someone who understands these things far better than I can advise me please. Many thanks.
15 REPLIES 15
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Got the Fibre Installed Today and I Have a Question

Looks like you may have been provisioned on the 40/2 package rather than the 80/20 package.
Something for CRT to look into tomorrow.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Estragon
Rising Star

As Strat says. This has happened a lot since the 40/20 product was dropped and replaced by the 40/2. It will probably get picked up here tomorrow but if not the online Chat is probably your best bet.
JeanofKinver
Dabbler

Thank You Strat, I am feeling a bit more encouraged now. I do a lot with photos to sharing sites so the upload speed is what disappointed me the most.
Let us see what tomorrow brings us. I will report back.
JeanofKinver
Dabbler

I got with the online chat and, as expected, they have put me on 40/2. So it will be upgraded to what I actually ordered within 24 hours. Will see how that goes. Hopefully it will be put right sometime today.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I can see you've contacted our chat team who have placed the order.
Really sorry that this happened. The agent who placed the initial order did it incorrectly so I'll feed that back.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
JeanofKinver
Dabbler

There is some improvement today. It appears that a change has taken place.
This is the speed I now get
Download speedachieved during the test was - 37.2 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 35.73 Mbps-51.05 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 51.05 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 10.46Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
I can't say that I am happy with that but it is better than it was for sure. So I get about 14 Mbps less than it could get downstream and a little more than half what the upstream rate could be? I still think something is not right or is this it?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Looks like your PlusNet line speed https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed han't caught up with the re-provision on 80/20 yet and is still stuck at 38Mb.
Hopefully Matthew will spot your reply and change it fairly quickly. If not then try the online chat and ask for it to be updated to match the BT profile.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JeanofKinver
Dabbler

Thank You MisterW
I went to the link you gave and plusnet have me on 38.6 so it does indeed need to get changed upwards for me to see the speeds I can get.
I'll see if it changes today and if not I'll get with them to jolly things along.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

A perfect example of how useful the Plusnet Line Speed feature is. Now the customer not only knows that the PN profile has to catch up, but he/she can wait for that to happen, without the need to contact Customer Services. Without that feature, I suspect it would mean more work for Plusnet (and the customer).
JeanofKinver
Dabbler

Hi Jafreer thanks for your comments. I was just thinking that I seem to be working very hard on this, especially as I have no prior knowledge of how things work, and that without the goodwill of you good people on here helping and advising me I would probably have been very frustrated by the issues and by hanging on the line waiting to talk with someone at plusnet.
It doesn't change the fact that someone at plusnet made a mistake and now we have to do these things to get it put right. I have had an apology from Matthew but I am so glad I work from home and have the time to do this.
Oh and I am a she
Jean
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'll see if it changes today and if not I'll get with them to jolly things along.
It SHOULD update automatically to follow changes in the BT profile but sometimes, either BT doesn't send the update or it gets lost somewhere. As you say , if it doesn't update today then give them (PlusNet) a prod.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I've updated your profile now and dropped your connection so you should see a improvement.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
dnpark38
Rising Star

Quote from: MisterW
Looks like your PlusNet line speed https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed han't caught up with the re-provision on 80/20 yet and is still stuck at 38Mb.
Hopefully Matthew will spot your reply and change it fairly quickly. If not then try the online chat and ask for it to be updated to match the BT profile.

MisterW from that link I get "Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
32.8 Mb"
Is the Estimate Speed the one BT quote?  If so where is that available please?
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Estimated speed is the one from the BT Wholesale checker https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ and is just that, an 'Estimated' speed.
You then have the BT IP profile which is obtained from the BT speedtester, which the actual speed being achived on the line. In addition PlusNet have a Current Line Speed with is used to help with Traffic management. This SHOULD be the same as the BT IP Profile but...