Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a VPN problem

bigsyd
Hooked

Got a VPN problem

Morning all..

my vpn keeps disconnecting,I am a recent mover from sky and never had a problem before using my private internet access.com with sky

it runs for a few minutes (various connection time lengths ) then just disconnects.all firewalls ect with plusnet are turned off 

i have paid for another test vpn expressvpn.com to see if it helped but that one also keeps disconnecting

all my settings are as recommended by both VPN providers but like I said it worked fine with sky for over 4 years and the only thing that has changed is my service provider 

hope you can help

Add Tag...

6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Got a VPN problem

I use pia without any issue and have had one connection up for months from my PN line, so it's not a general PN issue.

How are you connecting to PIA, using their app or an openvpn connection?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bigsyd - I have several VPNs on my router and there is an option for Idle Timeout that for me defaults to 5 mins but if I change that to 0 then it remains up 24/7, there may also be a similar option in your Client as well.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

One option could be to try switching from upd to tcp and using port 443 see if that stays up for longer
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@bigsyd

Are you using the Plusnet Hub One router ? If not which router?

If so, are you also using the 40/2 Unlimited Fibre product?

And when the VPN disconnects, what does the router log show?

Are you losing the PPPoE connection from the router to Plusnet too at the same time (this will show in the log too)?

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
bigsyd
Hooked

Thanks all for getting back to me Thumbs_Up I should have given a bit more details Crazy2 sorry

i am on fiber unlimited 

the fiber connection is not affected there is no broadband disconnection 

i am using my own router TP-Link AC1600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit VDSL/ADSL Modem Router for Phone Line Connections

now I believe that I can't set up a vpn on that router (be gentle with me I am well out of my comfort zone with computers) but tbh that's not a problem as i have the vpn's(I can switch between either one) set up on my synology nas drive DS214se and I use a PPTP vpn connection method 

both vpn suppliers provided detailed and easy to follow guides how to set there vpn up on the synology drive

all ports have been forwarded to the router and everything works great...it's just the vpn keeps randomly disconnecting 

There is no set pattern the vpn can be up for a few hrs or a few minutes.when I re connect to the vpn it connects straight away with no problem,I have also tried different Regional gateway addresses from all over the world but that made no difference 

so I am a bit stuck at present...if you need any more info fire away..I am more than happy so far with swapping over to plusnet there speeds are just as good as sky and so far customer services have been spot on 

bigsyd
Hooked

Strange one this...if I throttle my download speeds the vpn keeps running no problem,it's been active now for over 48hrs,but as soon as I use full download speed it disconnects (not the broadband the vpn) I can live with throttled speed as it's only throttled on my nas drive and everything else is at full speed

side note got my £50 cash back cheque today... so far very happy with my move to plusnet