Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google WiFi with Plusnet

Radiator
Hooked

Google WiFi with Plusnet

Hello all

I have seen numerous threads on this issue (e.g. Installing Google Wifi - solution), but there does not seem to be a consensus. I have been encouraged to post here by plusnet support.

I have a fibre connection, hg612 openreach modem connected to a Google WiFi wan port (PPPoE). This set up apparently worked fine for a year or so, but now there are many WiFi drops which are obviously a lot more noticeable in our lockdown WiFi usage.

Google say vlan tagging is the issue (because the wan address does NOT end 1 or 254!!) and to install a managed switch to strip out the tags. The port set up looks complex to be able to maintain IPTV and VoIP connections, plus it's additional cost, power usage etc.

I have reached the end of line with Google support. So, can anyone recommend a specific solution that has 100% worked with Google WiFi? If not, I have no choice but to throw the Google WiFi and start again.

Thanks for any advice

Ray
8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Google WiFi with Plusnet

Google say vlan tagging is the issue (because the wan address does NOT end 1 or 254!!)

What complete and utter rubbish! From seeing other posts, Google seem fixated on VLAN tagging as being the issue with FTTC since their system doesn't support it. The fact is that with the HG612, the Google Wifi does not need to support it and will, in fact, not be aware of any VLAN tagging. The HG612 (and most other VDSL modems) will insert any VLAN tag on outgoing packets and strip them out on incoming.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Radiator
Hooked

Thanks MisterW. I guess that means the issue is something else and the VLAN stuff is a smokescreen. That means new WiFi kit, but I'll wait a little while to see if anyone did manage to find a fix - I'm not keen on spending a load more money.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Are you just losing wireless connection to the Google Wifi or is it dropping the PPPoE connection , so you're losing internet completely ?

and if it's dropping the PPPoE is it because the HG612 is losing sync ?.  I suspect you'll need to unlock the HG612 to be able to look at its logs ( assuming there are some )

Does the Google Wifi have any wired LAN ports ? connecting to one of those might help in determining whether its just a wifi drop or a PPPoE drop

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Radiator
Hooked

I'm fairly certain I'm just losing WiFi connections and not PPPoE or wired. I only have one wired pc and this has not seen any issues, although it would probably drop and reconnect too quickly to notice.

I have a switch on the Ethernet port of my Google WiFi and this is connected to a Nas, pc and second Google WiFi.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

This https://www.reddit.com/r/GoogleWiFi/comments/8nryov/diagnostic_info_or_log/ seems to suggest there might be diagnostic log information available from the google wifi. It's worth investigating , since there's no point in replacing the Google wifi if the HG612 is dropping and causing the PPPoE to drop. On the other hand if its just wifi you're losing then its the Google wifi that's the problem.

As a matter of interest, have you checked for interference from neighboring wifi networks by scanning channels and perhaps changing the channel on the Google ?

Radiator
Hooked

Thanks - yes I've checked that diagnostic report and as best I can see it says all is OK. Google support used it to tell me my WAN address indicated VLAN tagging.

I've checked for Wifi channel interference using Wifi Analyzer and this is not a problem. Google WiFi does not allow you to change the channel anyway. On one side of our house there are no WiFi signals except Google wifi and it still drops there.

I don't think the PPPoE connection is the issue as we can all see the wifi icon disappear on our devices and switch to 4G/x. From our estimation it doesn't appear to happen to all devices at the same time either.   

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Having reviewed this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/VLAN-tagging-on-Fibre-connection/td-p/1761339 and done a bit more digging, I THINK I understand whats confusing Google, although I still can't see what its got to do with VLAN tagging.

On the thread linked above , the Gateway IP is in the 172.16.x.x range, which in principle is a private non-routable IP. Now it seems that on the newer PlusNet network this IP range is used for the gateways, whereas on the old network they are in the 195.x.x.x range. It really doesnt matter, since its just the other end of the PPPoE link and is never really used for routing. However, just like I did in the linked thread, Google are thinking its a private IP and is a problem. Maybe they are also using the 172.16.x.x range somewhere in their system since its a private IP range. As I said, it really shouldn't matter since its only the PPPoE connection in the router that needs to be aware of the other ends IP.   

Radiator
Hooked

Ok, thanks for the extra help. I will try again with Google. I don't think I'm going to get anywhere...

I have also asked for a foolproof workaround - if they are so certain this is the issue then I would hope they could provide me with the part numbers and config of the kit to use. I know big companies don't really work that way and this is all just grasping at straws. I've already started looking at replacements.