cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good connection speed, good signal, pages slow to load. Router?

ldnjoe

Good connection speed, good signal, pages slow to load. Router?

Hello,
Wonder if anyone can help. I've just joined PlusNet and all's going well. Speediest shows 55 - 65 mb download; wifi signal is strong, but pages are taking longer to load than usual. Is that something to do with the router? I've been given the white home hub, similar to BT.  I have the old BT HomeHub5, could I plug that back in and test? Or can anyone suggest anything else. I run everything of Macs, so no ethernet - but we're a couple of meters away from the router (and it worked better before).
Thanks a bunch
3 REPLIES 3
shure
Grafter

Re: Good connection speed, good signal, pages slow to load. Router?

you can try changing your DNS settings to either OpenDNS or Google.  It worked for me.
Google DNS
Preferred: 8.8.8.8
Alternate: 8.8.4.4
OpenDNS
Preferred: 208.67.222.222
Alternate: 208.67.220.220
you will need to log into your router to change for all devices, or alternatively you can do it on individual machines
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

You are unable to change the DNS settings on the Plusnet Hub One or BT Hub 5.
You'd have to do on each device
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

I doubt that DNS changes will make much difference. DNS is only used for the initial connection (like a phone book is only used when you first dial). Plus modern OSes cache DNS results anyway. Having written that if the OP is visiting advert-heavy sites poor DNS performance could begin to have an impact. Note to OP: Please try running a speed tester eg;
speedtest.net
or
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html?utm_source=mainsite&utm_medium=navigation&utm_campaign=...