Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Sync but Speed Capped

JHarding
Hooked

Good Sync but Speed Capped

Hi,

I had a BT engineer visit to fix my connection last week (copper terminals outside) which fixed my broadband connection dropping problem and allows me to sync at a higher speed 72mb but my connection is capped to 60mb.

No matter what time of the day i try my connection wont go above 60mb download.

Attached is an image of my sync speed.

I am plugged into the master socket and the BT engineer said my internal wiring was fine and the speed will pickup in a few days but its been over a week. The weird thing is before my issues i was constantly downloading at 68-70mb.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

15 REPLIES 15
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Good Sync but Speed Capped

@JHarding Sight of this report - obscuring your phone number might be helpful: https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Edit - you are getting the speed to your router -i.e. Plusnets demarcation point, which suggests this is something internal - but I'll wait till I see the BT report before saying any more.

John
JHarding
Hooked

Hi jab1,

Here is the report as requested.

jab1
Legend

That report says you should be getting towards the top of your range - which it reports you do, as does you original screen shot.

What are you using to determine you are capped at 60? Sorry for asking for more reports, but can you post the results of https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ , making sure you complete and report the 'advanced' test.

John
JHarding
Hooked

No problem running the reports, here is the output as requested.

jab1
Legend

Interesting - looks like your BT profile has been reduced for some reason. What day did the engineer call?

John
JHarding
Hooked

Wednesday 5th May

jab1
Legend

Then I'm afraid I can only suggest you contact Plusnet and ask them what is happening. The BT DSL checker reported an observed 71.5 on 13/5, todays' Wholesale speed test says your profile is (rounded up)  64 and you achieved 60 - which is about right.

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

@JHarding - thank you for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear that you've been having issues with your speeds. In order to preserve the stability of the line, our system was capping your speeds at around 62Mbps. I've now updated the connection speed on our side to see if this makes a difference for you.

Please feel free to reach out if you continue to experience issues with your connection speeds.

-Adam - Plusnet Leeds

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
JHarding
Hooked

Hi Adam,

I have tested again this morning and i am still capped, do i need to reboot my router or anything?

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thank you for your response.

I've run another speed test on your line this morning and have found that the line has not been capped, with the line being in sync, with download speeds of around 68.6 Mbps.This is coherent with the speeds associated with your line, given it's distance from the exchange.

-Adam - Plusnet Leeds

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
MC22
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi, I hope you don’t mind me jumping into your thread however, I seem to possibly have a very similar issue as you do.

Firstly, let me say my Fibre Extra is working very well but, the BT Wholesale Checker has an observed speed of 72Mb on 21/5/2021 however, I never seemed to achieve an actual higher speed than around 60-62 Mb when I test my PC by Ethernet or my iPad or Galaxy Phone by WiFi.

However, I have noticed that in my Plusnet Account in the Broadband section it actually says my Current Line Speed (Download): 65.6Mbps.

I would like to say again that my connection is working absolutely great but, like the OP, my speeds have seemed to drop over time but I just wonder whether there’s a reason on Plusnet’s system that is reducing my speed?

Many thanks, 

jab1
Legend

@MC22 'Piggy-backing' on another users topic is not good practice - it makes it hard to help you or the OP.

I suggest you start your own topic and follow the initial advice given to the OP.

John
MC22
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks, I will just leave it as the connection is working very well, I don’t wish to tempt fate and make the connection worse!

Thanks.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @MC22, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you're having speed issues as of recent also.
I can see looking over your connection the speed profile on the account our side looks to be slightly under the sync speed we're seeing reach the router (65.6Mbps instead of the 68.3Mbps sync.) In which case, I've bumped this up for you and if you turn the router off and back on then you should see this slight improvement your side.

This doesn't explain the performance issues full your side however and looking into this further I can see there is currently a line fault being detected when testing which very well could be behind the performance issues you're seeing.
In which case, I have raised the fault up with our suppliers who have given us the standard 2 working day turn around time and estimated response time of 25/05/21 by 23:59. Keeping in mind this is the very latest a engineer would be out to investigate the issue and it could be resolved sooner.

I've raised a fault ticket on your account and placed it on hold until the morning of 26/05/21 so our faults team can check to see if your issue has been resolved however if you are still seeing issues by Wednesday morning and haven't heard from our faults team feel free to drop us a message on here and we'll happily chase this up for you.