cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Go here to test your Fibre Broadband speed.....

Andy2020
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Go here to test your Fibre Broadband speed.....

Hi there all,

Here is the test site that the visiting BT engineers sent me to for testing my Fibre Broadband speed www.testmy.net very good site with correct speeds for your Fibre Broadband testing.

It's much better than the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test that you are sent to test your speed.

Many thanks

18 REPLIES 18
robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Re: Go here to test your Fibre Broadband speed.....

Thanks for that, I got this, not sure if these are good results or not?

:::.. Internet Speed Test Result Details ..:::
Download Connection Speed:: 22569.88 kbps or 22.6 Mbps
Download Speed Test Size:: 21.7 MB or 22231 kB or 22764441.6 bytes
Download Binary File Transfer Speed:: 2821 kB/s or 2.8 MB/s
Upload Connection Speed:: 8814 kbps or 8.8 Mbps
Upload Speed Test Size:: 6.2 MB or 6304 kB or 6455296 bytes
Upload Binary File Transfer Speed:: 1102 kB/s or 1.1 MB/s
Timed:: Download: 8.069 seconds | Upload: 5.859 seconds
Tested At:: https://TestMy.net
Test Time:: 2020-02-23 17:29:05 Local Time
Client Location:: Port Talbot, NTL GB https://testmy.net/city/port_talbot_ntl
Target:: Dallas, TX https://dallas.testmy.net
Validation:: https://testmy.net/db/ciDh4Geuw.I2Bb-COtr
TiP Measurement Summary (Download):: Min 12.72 Mbps | Middle Avg 24.33 Mbps | Max 36.87 Mbps | 97% Variance
Client Stats:: https://testmy.net/compID/1312831330337
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/79.0.3945.130 Safari/537.36 OPR/66.0.3515.103 [!]

I had to call Plusnet earlier cause I had a couple of connection drops again, it's weird cause it'll be stable for 11 days or so at a time and then we'll get some drops, quite often they're between 12 and 1 in the morning which I guess was down to maintenance or it's a Sunday at random times like the two we had today.

Plusnet are brilliant (left a couple of 5 star reviews on Trustpilot and a nice post here) though I do wish this wouldn't happen because it's frustrating and never used to happen before.

We need 3 drops within 24 hours to register a fault but I really don't want to keep going through all that either time and time again I just want a solid connection much more than what we have lately but ah well. The guy did say to me something about the copper wiring, not Plusnet's fault as it's the infastructure but soon as they upgrade that to something much better than old copper wiring we're going to constantly have these problems no matter who we're with, it's so frustrating. 

Plusnet are fantastic though and such good customer service too which I love!!

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Just as I wrote that it's done it again, another drop out again.

I love Plusnet but I'm getting sick of this and I'm not constantly doing tests all the time, it's an absolute nightmare and pain for us to do so, it's too much 😔

I'll send @Gandalf a little kind private message as I know he's really great also here Smiley

Andy2020
Grafter

Hi there,

You can set up automatic speed tests over hours under Misc/Automatic speed test and get rhe results emailed to you.

PN send you to BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test but that just shows you what PN want you to see... a fast download/upload speed.

They tell me (PN) that I am getting super fast fibre at 70Mbps download which I am not and I only get 26Mbps or lower.

I have a ticket open since 12Jan and they keep saying everything is fine and want to close it.

Not realy gettig what I am paying for.

Regards.

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Yeah, I don't mind the speeds thing as long as it's enough to run things what I need to at the moment, it's the inconsistent drop out's that frustrates me the most.

We'll be alright for 11 days or so and then we'll get a day where we're getting drop outs, today it's been 3 or 4 times we've had drops and it's frustrating.

All the tests and things they ask us to do really annoys me doing over and over again and is too much for us to do, it's very awkward too for us to do because of where the router is and if we unplug everything to take it downstairs to the plate and do all the tests we can't connect anything to it anyway cause we have nothing downstairs than can connect to it so it's pointless.

I'm honestly thinking of looking into another provider because it's happening too much and it's too much to do all the time, customers shouldn't have to keep doing this all the time and nothing has changed or been moved since BT Openreach set it up a year last September when they came out, plus it's only been the past couple of months it'll be alright for 10 - 12 days or something and then we'll have a day when this starts so it's clearly not a problem at our side otherwise it would do it all the time and not at the same time every night or on a random Sunday like it has been today, it's always been either Sunday's or between 12 and 1 (ish) when it happens otherwise it's constantly solid. 

I never had all this with other providers but at the same time Plusnet have been the best specially with customer service so I really don't want to go to another provider but it's just becoming too much and it's heartbreaking. 

And it's just done it again as I'm writing this I've had enough, I'm not constantly going through all the same things time and time again all the time, we shouldn't have to keep doing that. 

*sigh* I guess I'm just frustrated. 

dave501
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

@robbieglover2k  If you use a Hubone router, Routerstats may help you identify what's going on, the graphs can be extremely useful especially when you need to request offical support.

RouterStatsHub 5A

http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/RouterStatsHub/routerstatshub.htm

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Yeah I've just spoke to them again and I've got someone coming out Tuesday morning now so hopefully this will be the last time I have to do this or have any problems. Plusnet are great but all I want is a good consistent connection.

It's dropped absolutely loads again since now the message above when I said 3 or 4 times, it's been going off and dropping more than it's been on now loads. 

I'm having to type this and send it before it cuts off again lol 

Weird though cause it'll be alright for 11 days plus perfectly fine and solid and then all of a sudden we'll have a day (always a Sunday lol) where it's just bad and it's only been the past couple of months, bare in mind I've been with Plusnet quite a while now too. 

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

The reason Plusnet ask people to use the BT speedtest is the further diagnostics are stored on a server that Plusnet & Openreach can access.
Andy2020
Grafter

Hi,

The BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test does not give you a true speed. It gives shows you a fast download speed that is not true.

It shows my speed at 70Mbps so how come it takes me 15min to download a 1GB file at there given speed it should only take 2min to down load.

They make your connection appear faster than it really is. Remember PN is part of BT

Thanks.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@Andy2020  A good question,but who and where are you trying to get the file from. Who and what else is also trying to download from the same site? 

You need to understand about what else is using the same link as you. Speed tests to BTW are designed to show the max speeds you can expect, downloading a big file from an unknown site in say Mongolia, will not necessarily show the same results.

Andy2020
Grafter

Hi there,

Thanks for reply. As I say PN may say that I get fantastic speeds to my home but it does not come into my home.

Last night I left my laptop pluged into my BT socket with a lan cable and left it running all night connected to testmy.net and the download speed did not go over 26Mbps which is well below my given speed by PN

Here are the results. https://testmy.net/db/-w~HfIGtC.Dg-kcVvZW There is a problem with my connection but for some reason PN or BT are unable to resolve it.

Many thanks.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Have you changed the server to London on testmy.net?

When I first tried it it defaulted to a server in Dallas, Texas and gave me a download speed of 44Mb/s. Changing the server to London resulted in a more accurate speed of ~190Mb/s (I'm on a G.fast connection.)

What is the synch speed reported by your router?

Andy2020
Grafter

It's set to a GB server in London....

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Connecting your laptop to the test socket via a Lan cable makes no sense, you need a router inbetween the test socket and your laptop, with nothing else running. Using a Go Daddy site with loads of ads skowing down your net is never going to give you the best results.

Andy2020
Grafter

ADSL filters into the test socket and then plug my PN router into the filter