cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gigabit Ethernet

ghj56

Gigabit Ethernet

We are fortunate enough to have a couple of smaller Smart TVs both LG) Things had been working fairly well until I changed the layout, but nothing major, and as a result we've been barely able to watch them when connected to the Internet. I'm running out of options, but something improved tonight when I disconnected an 8 port Gigabit Switch that I've been using for a while. I just can't work it out though. There isn't a problem with input according to a few Broadband speed checkers there is plenty of juice getting to the router at least some devices, but not the TVs. 

Has anyone had problems with LG Smart TVs and the Plusnet Hub One?

Has anyone had problems with connecting a switch to the Plusnet Hub One (to extend a wired network?

Any help appreciated. Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Gigabit Ethernet

Hi ghj56, Welcome to the forums.

Can I ask you what you mean when you say “I changed the layout”. Does this mean physically moving TV’s, wires or switches?

If it does then it may be wise to check that the new layout isn’t being obstructed by sources of interference such as piping, mains wiring, electrical appliances.

I have an LG (43UJ63) TV in my bedroom but I don't have it connected to the internet because I found that when the TV went On the LAN lost all connectivity for about 10+ minutes. It did settle down but when there are shouts of "Dad the internet's off!" while my sons played online, I just unplugged it from the LAN, as it wasn't worth the grief.

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Did you restart all the devices (including the router) after changing the layout?

Switches cache routing information based on device Mac address. If you alter the port on the switch that the traffic needs to use, the stale cached data can cause all sorts of issues.

The plusnet router has an integrated switch, if that switch has stale data it will cause issues. A restart will flush the cache.

notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You mention this 8 port switch. So I'm going to assume you are using wired connections for your devices. You also say that things were working well until you "changed the layout". Does this implies you have physically move the TV's around?

Could possibly be an issue with the cat5 cables? Specifically if you're using solid as opposed to stranded cable. In my experience solid cat5 develops a memory overtime, and reacts badly to being moved.
ghj56

Thanks. I only mean around the router and Gigabit switch Changing order of wires and some of the ethernet cables. A bit desperate really, but it had been working before I disconnected most of the wires for a few days. Obstruction isn't an issue in this case because I really don't use much of wireless (beside the centrality of that to how these routers are managed) I use wires for almost everything

You've possibly identified the problem though, a greedy TV! On the hunt for that, but I lost Internet over the weekend as the router itself is playing up so maybe that issue was feeding into the problems as well

Thank you for replying 

ghj56

Yes A few times last week - in different forms. It had improved and then (when it was working and I wasn't doing anything to it) it lost settings on Saturday (all passwords and user details spontaneously wiped) That has been restored and it's working well at this moment. although I have not yet re-connected the switch with the second string  of wires 

Hey ho

Thank you

ghj56

Thanks

It sounds all too possible. As I said, it had been all working quite well. We went away for a couple of days and turned most things off, but my brother wanted Internet (where he wanted it is delivered by Devolo powerlines) and I took out all but the Devolo cat cable. I reconnected when we got back but probably didn't recreate the original order, but in any case that is when the problems started and Broadband transfers slowed to (literally almost zero according to the TV itself) I hadn't realised about this sort of "muscle memory" you describe, but it makes sense. I have so many cables that I am not sure which type I have - mainly Cat 6  now - but I have older set of cables (inset through runs) and know I have more than a few solids in all the mix

Everything is better since the router self-reset (at least for the last 20 minutes) but do you suggest anything else I could do?

rjwharfe
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

Just to help troubleshooting , can I suggest the following;

1. Unplug TV cat5 cable from LAN

2. Disconnect Power to TV by physically removing power plug

3. Disconnect Power to Plusnet Router

4. Disconnect Power to external switch

5. Disconnect all lan cables to External switch

6. Ensure cable from PlusnetRouter is connected to correct port on external switch, some have special ports for this or buttons to alter a certain port.

6. Turn on Plusnet Router ON

7. Turn External Switch ON

8. Connect a lappie etc to a port on the external switch, check for good network connection

9. With pt8. if good connection found start connecting other devices to external switch one by one after checking connectivity after each one

10. Finally Power the LG backup after plugging 'mains plug' back in

11. Connect LG to external switch

REPORT BACK ..... to what happens