cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting sick of this - what the hell is wrong with my connection??!

Getting sick of this - what the hell is wrong with my connection??!

Keep getting repeated slow-downs - Router lights stay normal but all traffic stops dead... literally nothing gets through. Usually it recovers after a few minutes, but occasionally needs a reboot of the router. 

Firebrick shows a ton of dropped packets which start and stop at random intervals - e.g. 

84ef6c1d53784a7e69af209d91ef1925-20-11-2016

So it was fine from 12:30am this morning until about 11am..... then the dropped packets started again.

Clearly something is wrong here............ any ideas? 

8 REPLIES 8
orangeman
Grafter

Re: Getting sick of this - what the hell is wrong with my connection??!

teddysmum
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

It looks as though people on fibre (we can't get it yet) are having problems,as well as those on ADSL.

As Watchdog is currently airing and they did an article on poor broadband two weeks, ago, it may be worth emailing them.

I messaged them about a problem(not internet related) some years ago and they said they would look into it if a number of people contacted them (obviously didn't in my case),but if we all ask them to investigate...

Being dragged onto tv will be bad publicity,so perhaps PlusNet will live up to 'We'll Do You Proud' for once.

To think I left Sky for Plusnet, as I thought they had a good reputation, makes me very angry. (Talking to Sky about my tv, last night, I mentioned problems and the man would have done me a good deal to go back, if I didn't have such a long minimum term left, but if they offer, later, I'll be off before my term is up.)

Slobcat1337
Grafter

Yeah I think we need to give plus net a reason to take us seriously. Writing to watchdog is a good idea!
Bean
Hooked

Yes having disconnections for a long time now,had 2 engineers out to the house now a 3rd one is booked.I think your right it's about time they get what they deserve bad publicity!!

Bean
Hooked

Hi Just quick update filled in watchdog form now to fill in cisas form!

teddysmum
Rising Star

They have (not) endeared themselves even further by getting my phone bill wrong and I had to wait 18 minutes on the phone to CS, listening to that awful 'music' (left on speaker phone). I have inclusive calls but was charged for one two minute call and they don't know why. Only 45p , but it's the principle involved here.

I then asked to be put through to tech (question about a modem I'm returning and don't want to be charged if it's faulty, as they chose to replace; sorted), then asked if they could improve my speed as the 14 day speed was 5.3mbps,but I had 5.7 from them earlier (including drop outs, of course).

The new modem improved the number of drops, but I did notice two, 30 minutes apart, last night, while just browsing forums and had to reboot the modem on Friday. I mentioned this and the tech said he noticed there was one today, at lunch time (I didn't notice, but was doing other things), so wants me to run on master socket for 72 hours and monitor any drops I notice, then an engineer may be needed, as there is a fault with my wiring, but have just the master socket: no extensions, so the only wiring is in that socket. (My son, who was a subcontracting BT tech for home faults, some years ago, said that would make no difference and told me sending an engineer is not a good idea as there are cases where they blame and charge the customer, regardless. He suggests pestering the CEO, if they don't sort quickly.)

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

We're currently investigating the reports of packet loss as communicated on our service status feed.

I also provided a brief update earlier in the thread here.

@teddysmum, did you manage to sort a refund/credit for the call charges? Hopefully we can get to the bottom of the connection drops too.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

teddysmum
Rising Star

I have had a refund of the call charge , but the person who dealt with the matter didn't know why it was levied.

I have managed to get a family member to pug my modem into the master socket and have been running on it for about 15 hours, now. I didn't notice any dropouts last night, but was on the net very little due to having visitors.

Today no drop out noticed (but I've only been browsing forums for the last half hour) However, at 15.03 my speed was too low to even get the speed checker to work. At 15.04 the speed was 2.5down  0.07up. 15.07 it was down to 1.51 with 0.09up and after noting a Plusnet email, it took me several minutes to get onto this forum. (At least the poor service isn't having as much impact on tv(lot's of buffering) as I have gone back to Sky, so can download catchup, though availability to watch is taking much much longer than it used to).