Did you mean: 

Getting average 68 Mbps before renewal

FIXED
mexicano
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Getting average 68 Mbps before renewal

Hi,

I had a 2 year FTTC contract in which I got, on average, 68 Mbps speed, but a few days after I renewed my contract in October I am now getting between 45 and 53 Mbps.

I know that it's still a good speed but can someone please check my line and see if something has gone wrong that I have been reduced from 68 Mbps?

Thank you

31 REPLIES 31
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Getting average 68 Mbps before renewal

Hiya @mexicano, thanks for getting in touch. I am sorry to hear that you have experienced a drop in the speeds you're seeing.

I have tested the line and this is showing that you have a current sync speed of 57.4mb though the tests haven't highlighted anything that may have caused the drop.

If not already, I would recommend to get connected to the test socket for the time being and monitored for a couple of days, to see if that makes any improvement. You can find help on connecting to the test socket here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Let us know how you get on!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
mexicano
Rising Star

Hi @LaurenB 

I've been connected to the test socket for several weeks and my desktop pc has always been connected via cable, that's the reason why I'm now questioning the drop in speed.

I know that I'm within the "achievable" speed but I just wanted to know if it might have been set by PN as I was already getting about 68 before renewing my contract on October.

I don't understand how it dropped JUST a few days after agreeing to renew!?

djcjuk
Rising Star
Fixes: 5

I had a similar problem yesterday (2nd Dec) I normally get over 70 Mbps but yesterday it dropped to 50 to 48 Mbps. It has recovered today and now back to normal. I hope your drop  is a temporary like mine!

mexicano
Rising Star

@djcjuk Glad to hear that yours went back up the next day but mine's been down since October. Sad

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hiya @mexicano, thanks for getting back to me and confirming you are in the test socket.

I have just rested your line and this now shows a sync speed of 60mb. As the current profile is also set at 60mb this now suggests your line is banded.

I have sent off a request to have the line unbanded for you, though please note this can take up to 72 working hours to be complete.

Let us know how things are after then!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
mexicano
Rising Star

@LaurenB I got a call from PN yesterday telling me that "Fault ID: 606363 updated
- Engineer visit was updated and set to Yes"

So now an engineer in coming on Monday between 1pm and 6pm.

Your unbanding request seems to have been overridden?

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Thanks for getting back to us @mexicano. An engineer visit won't override the DLM reset request, in fact in may even result in it being carried out by the engineer whilst they're on their visit. Please let us know how things go today and we'll be happy to pick this back up for review with you Smiley

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
mexicano
Rising Star

The openreach engineer has just left and he did all the tests and couldn't find anything wrong. I'm still getting 48-50 Mbps instead of the 68-72 before I renewed my contract Sad

Maybe the unbanding will kick it up as @LaurenB and you @TheMightyAJ  mentioned?

I'll give it a few more days and cross my fingers.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for getting back to us, I'm sorry the engineer wasn't able to locate the cause of the drop for you. As the request to unband was sent off Friday Evening, this should have hopefully complete by the end of tomorrow. If things are still the same by Thursday, get back to us so we can take another look for you.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
mexicano
Rising Star

Hi @LaurenB I spoke to the engineer last night and he did suggest that I should get myself a new router. I know that's probably a long shot but I did see that PN are now sending out Hub Two to new customers, should I invest in one of those too?

Maybe I can persuade PN to send me one to replace the one that I have now?

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for getting back to me. At the moment, the Hub Two is only available for new customers or customers that are re-contracting so our team wouldn't be able to order one to replace your Hub One at the moment. It doesn't look like your router is that old so wouldn't have thought that would be causing drop in speed.

We will see how things go once the banding has been lifted Smiley

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
mexicano
Rising Star

Hi @LaurenB  Just to update you I don't know if the unbanding did anything but my upload is now 56 Mbps, so that is a bit faster? 🤔

Shame but I guess I will have to live with it.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Good Morning @mexicano, I'm really sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

It looks like the sync speed increased over the weekend and it's now at 70.4mb, how do things seem your side?

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
mexicano
Rising Star

Hi @LaurenB I just did a test and I get 61 Mbps. At least it's over the 60 mark and better than the 50 I was getting before.

Maybe it will improve even more over time?

Will starting the router help?

Thanks Lauren