Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting angry with people hacking me

wolfheart
Grafter

Getting angry with people hacking me

Hi,

I am getting hacked by horrible university students next door to me ( I even sent the police there mac address and name of there router etc what had connected to my network). Yet they have no interested and all I am getting from plus net is there is nothing they can do.

I find this rather strange as my friend who is with Sky had a similar problem with 6 of her neighbours on her network and Sky done something about it. So why can't plus net?

I am a paying customer and have the right for information of the peoples names etc hacking me and there ips etc. If plus net do not do anything about it, you leave me no choice but to cancel and go else where and I will also let other people known that you do nothing about hackers as well as the papers.

I cannot even use my internet connection as they are disconnecting me and seemed to of installed something inside the router, as they know when I am on etc and changing the rotuer passwords etc is not working, as they seem to know when these are changed also.

What really annoys me with the police is they think Uni students don't have the knowledge to hack. I am very certain the makers of Unix and Linux went to Uni at a young age. Not to mention they teach computer courses at colleges and universities. I know they must of done something to the router as even being connected via ethernet cable i still get disconnected and same as locking all devices down to own ip and mac addresses using access control and arp bind.

Even myself started programming at a young age, i made my first game on the amiga 500 with amiga amos. I also used lettuce C. Then learnt qbasic and was taught pascal at college, then I taught myself htm (there was no html then) then c++ , perl and code for making own battlefield 1942 maps. This was back in the 90's till the 00'0s.

I am sure some of you will be familiar with bbs systems and using software like Ami-Express and playing good old pg door games etc. My favourite games from the bbs days are ansi warrior , global war and space empires. Smiley

For those interested in starting own bbs via telnet have a look at the software called Sychronet (no I do not own it or make it, I am friends with the people who do).

www.synchronet.net

13 REPLIES 13
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Re: Getting angry with people hacking me

Hey @wolfheart,

I am sorry to hear you feel we are not helping as we should and as a result wish to move providers.

I'm afraid as we have advised previously we are unable to provide further support in this instance, we are your internet provider and as such security of your 3rd party router is not within our remit. I can see previously our mods and experienced forum users have tried to trouble-shoot this with you.

I can only suggest talking to your local police force who may be able to assist you further with this. We unable to discuss your friends situation with their provider as it could have been wholly different to what you are experiencing therefore irrelevant in this situation.

Please do let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

wolfheart
Grafter

Hi,

I am not on about my router logs, you must have logs of whos connecting to what ip and when. I find it very strange that you do not have these. My router logs are being deleted etc, Also I know its them next door as I only have these problems every time they are in. This has been going on since January. I am getting so fed up I am getting ready to kill them if its the only answer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wolfheart As frustrating as it is you cannot make threats like that, it is in your interest to edit your post and remove the offending comment, or you may well be the one with the Police knocking on your door, as you could end up in serious trouble.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi Wolfheart,
It is technically possible to hack WiFi passwords but the usual technique is to "brute force" attack. I. E. Programme the computer to try all combinations of letters and characters until a match is found.
The best way to mitigate this is set your own WiFi password made up of random characters. The longer the password, the longer the tine it takes to break. If you set a password longer than 30 characters, it can take years to break it.
A long password can be a pain to enter into devices it can be easier to create a new temporary WiFi connection and email the password and then usr cut and paste. Then set the new long password.
Regards
Richard
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wolfheart To elaborate on what @RichardB has said above you may find this article comforting.

https://thycotic.force.com/support/s/article/Calculating-Password-Complexity

wolfheart
Grafter

Hi,

I am sure you have heard of Kali Linux ? It is full of tools to hack wi-fi and sometimes it don't require brute-force. Anyway my tp-link Archer cs5400 only supports upto 16 chars and will not allow me to use special chars what I would like to use. I have tried searching for custom firmware but to no avail, i did however come across a page a while back just after I bought the router there is a back-door (version 2 and latest firmware what i have now) and i know it has not been fixed, as tp-link have not done an update for months. I have seen passwords of 12-16 chars get cracked before, if you have the right wordlist it can take seconds, or if wps or pin is enabled then they use that method. (these are both disabled on my router).

What I believe they do is sniff the packets of the client's wifi you wish to hack and capture the packets for when the client connects to there wifi,

wolfheart
Grafter

Hi,

I have used other chars (not special chars, but ones like {}[]% etc ) yet they still got my password and this was using upper case, lower case and numbers mixed as well. Hence why I believe they have wrote something to the router and its impossible to remove.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Have you considered using a different router? Maybe not a TP-Link?

Anonymous
Not applicable

If that is what you think then the only real option you have is to replace your router. Not what you want to hear but if you can't upgrade the existing one then buying a newer one sounds like the best option to me.

If possible maybe you can re-work your network so that you only use Ethernet and just turn the wireless off altogether.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

How long was the password?
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Are you just relying on passwords? On my Tp LInk router there is an access control menu under security. I have a whitelist containing the mac numbers of the devices allowed to connect. Even if someone has the password to connect to the router via WiFi, if their mac address isn't on that list, they don't connect. It really is like that. Tried it lots of time over the years and it works 100%. As you have it already enabled, I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

Router wise, there is nothing to stop you wiping the entire router, re-installing the firmware and start from scratch. But I suspect that isn't your problem.

You say people are stopping you connecting, I would look very close to home, even to your own devices. Has a key logger been installed? Reporting back to whoever.

A little story. Many years ago my sister phoned me up one day to ask if I could help her as she had a bit of a computer problem. Like you, weird things were happening. She would get disconnected, reconnected etc, the printer would start printing on its own etc. Cutting a long story short, after a bit of investigation, I found some strange stuff on her computer (malware). It turned out her 'best friend' had installed it while she was out of the room. It was her best friend doing the hack. The only good thing that came out of it was my sister became very good at computer programming etc. Her best friend? Not so best friend!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wolfheart - If you are convinced that your network is being compromised I would suggest you gather irrefutable evidence to take to the authorities. Download a program called Wireshark you can get it here. https://www.wireshark.org/download.html
Set up a filter to capture the inbound data to prove there are in fact unwanted / unauthorised connections to your LAN.

Wireshark will give you evidence you need and from what you have posted previously it shouldn’t be beyond your skill set to do this.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

For wireshark to see the traffic, assuming that it's coming in over the wifi, I think you'd have to be capturing the wifi traffic in monitor mode, which generally means that you wouldn't be able to use the wifi connection for anything else while capturing.

I'm not sure how irrefutable it would be, I expect the contents of a packet capture file could be edited or created to contain anything you like.