cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a public IP address

kahlilc

Getting a public IP address

Recently joined Plusnet at my new place, trying to host me some good ol' game servers like I did on my old Plusnet, but unfortunately it looks like I no longer have a public IP. It was a majorly helpful feature, having a dynamic public-facing IP, but now I'm stuck behind a 172. network.

Tried calling support twice, both times the person on the other end had no idea what a public IP even is, which worries me, and also I guess couldn't escalate me to anybody who did have the most basic networking knowledge? Really worrying support experience.

I want Plusnet to give me a dynamic IP that routes directly out, so I can host a server and receive inbound connections, instead of NATing me. This used to be service as standard, is there any way to achieve this anymore?

4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Getting a public IP address

I want Plusnet to give me an IP that routes directly out, so I can host a server and receive inbound connections, instead of NATing me, is there any way to achieve this?

PlsuNet dont use CGNAT. All connections are given a fully routable public IP. If your connection is getting a 172. IP then it sounds like your router isnt authenticating properly.

Im assuming this is a new connection ? If so, the router will be preset with a username of setup@plusdsl.net. When it initially connects it should get your correct username automatically and then reconnect. In the situation where it temporarily uses the setup username it will not get a fully routable address.

If you check the router, does it have your correct username ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

You have a public IP address - not sure why you don't think you don't?
It starts with 146.90.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @kahlilc,

I'm not sure if I'm misinterpreting your needs here, but would you like a Static IP address? If so, we can arrange to give you one, it would just cost £5 for the setup fee.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
kahlilc

Thank you for the help everyone, really appreciated! Feeling likely stupid honestly.

There was in fact a setup username on the router, which I've changed out and restarted. However, the main thing (other than a couple connection issues in to my network) that left me believing I was being NAT'd was that the Router states its default gateway is a 172. address, a 146. public address, and no subnets, and I see that's still the case. Not sure if that's just an odd setup I don't understand, or poor information reporting - probably my own ignorance.

So, I've tested other things this time round, and it's all routing publicly as y'all claim it should and doing what I want it to, yay! I'd like to believe something changed from me playing with it, but I fear I've just been a dumb-dumb.

So, all good, thanks to all of you for the help, seriously! Apologies again. Still, it would've been very helpful if someone on phone support could've told me I was being a dummy first time round, or at least understood what I was sayin'.