cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a Billion 8800NL tomorrow!

NedLudd
Grafter

Getting a Billion 8800NL tomorrow!

Just ordered one from Amazon and it's due tomorrow.
Any tips before I slot it into the 'comms' cupboard? I know my PN username/password but can't remember if the BT modem has different credentials.
I've been having speed drops recently from my ageing TP-Link WR2543ND and the wifi has been dropping out too, so time to replace it.
Geoff,
York.
14 REPLIES 14
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Getting a Billion 8800NL tomorrow!

NedLudd
Grafter

Ahhhh, thanks for that matey!  Cool
Geoff,
York.
Craigy
Dabbler

I've had my 8800AXL for just over a week now, and it's been as solid as a rock!
When I installed it, I did notice a 2-3ms drop in ping times as well as everything just "feeling faster", not sure if the latter is just in my head though  Cheesy
NedLudd
Grafter

Just couldn't run to the more expensive one!  Sad
Geoff,
York.
thunderer
Grafter

Kinda ironic that I've had mine just over 2 weeks and I'm thinking of putting it into store and going back to the Draytek or choosing another modem/router.
I've had enough of the awful forum (let's put out a beta firmware, that screws up people's wireless) there's also more life in a morgue than that forum, the useless support that Billion offer and the woeful way the router deals with WPS and low range.
Then there's the USB dongle that gets hot in use & comes with outdated drivers that Windows 7 is tetchy about, no Wireless utility software!
Add to that the putrid Wi-Fi extender and it's password restrictions & I've just about come to the end of my tether.
gyre
Grafter

I'm on my 2nd day of using one, having replaced my ECI modem due to g.inp wierdness with my local cabinet.
I've configured mine purely as a bridge.  A drop-in replacement for the ECI.  No wireless.  No routing.  Added an extra cat5 cable to collect the stats for the time being to see how it's coping.
I've only got 1 full day's worth of data to go on, but just swapping out the ECI restored my downstream sync from 59mbps back up to 73mbps, and my first hop ping times from 25ms to 10-15ms.
I used @Marksfish's postings as a guide on how to set up the 2 parameters for connecting to plusnet.  Thanks Smiley
-- gyre --
NedLudd
Grafter

Well, it seems I got a dud today!  Undecided
Spent 3 hours solid with it and it just would not connect to the internet. I used Marksfish' guide as gyre did too but 'no go'.
Changed various bits without success. Re-boots and resets were the order of the day but that 'Internet' light would not come on.
TG there's no DLM on fibre as my connection was up and down more often than a lift in an old folks home!
When I put back my old set-up for the last time my speed was unaffected.  Shocked
Finally contacted Amazon via the website and arranged for a replacement to be sent out. Hopefully that'll arrive tomorrow (at least that's what the website said).
Geoff,
York.
w23
Pro

Quote from: NedLudd
TG there's no DLM on fibre as my connection was up and down more often than a lift in an old folks home!

Well there is but it's apparently forgiving regarding a few disconnects.
Hope the replacement does the trick.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
NedLudd
Grafter

No good, I'm afraid!
The new Billion arrived OK but showed the same problem as the original - it just doesn't see the Internet!
I've had FTTC for about 3 years. The BT supplied modem has had the Technicolor router and my TP-Link router attached to it without problem. So, either Amazon have a bad batch, or there is something unique about my BT supplied connection!
Either way, I will not be buying anything Billion again.
Geoff,
York.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

Very strange. I can't help you in the diagnosis, but it seems very unlucky if you have 2 not working!! I know I had an issue when I first connected mine, but on the 3rd attempt it was all systems go.
Mark
gyre
Grafter

Although I'm using mine as a bridge and not a router, you did try the following tweaks (taken from an amazon customer), right?
What you need to do is click onto the configuration section and click on the WAN section go to your PTM0.1 connection and click the "edit" button... on this screen select "IP over Ethernet" from the top dropdown... then change the VLAN mux ID to "101" and change the 8021P to "0", finally change the MTU to 1492.... and click "appy" that should be that!!!

-- gyre --
NedLudd
Grafter

You're a star gyre!
Although it took a while to get the thing to remember those settings, it finally did and now I'm here using my new Billion 8800!
Many thanks my friend!
Geoff,
York.
ricke17
Grafter

No good, I'm afraid!
The new Billion arrived OK but showed the same problem as the original - it just doesn't see the Internet!
I've had FTTC for about 3 years. The BT supplied modem has had the Technicolor router and my TP-Link router attached to it without problem. So, either Amazon have a bad batch, or there is something unique about my BT supplied connection!
Either way, I will not be buying anything Billion again.

I got a billion 8800 axl - works ok for me
Fibre Broadband 80/20, Netgear D7000
gyre
Grafter

You're a star gyre!
Although it took a while to get the thing to remember those settings, it finally did and now I'm here using my new Billion 8800!
Many thanks my friend!

Smiley